SHOTLIST DUNMORE EAST, IRELANDSEPTEMBER 3, 2020SOURCE: AFPTV 1. Close-up Guinness light2. Mid shot pub closed under government coronavirus measures3. Wide shot publican Joe Sheridan opening his pub4. Mid shot publican Joe Sheridan opening his pub5. Wide shot Joe Sheridan turning on the lights6. Close-up Sheridan cleaning7. Close-up framed pictures on the wall of the pub 8. SOUNDBITE 1 - Joe Sheridan, publican of closed pub (male, English, 12 sec): "The sad story of this is that the governance changes and the protocols that have not allowed public houses to open will shut down and turn the lights off in rural Ireland." 9. Cutaway: Close-up Joe Sheridan stacking chairs on the bar 10. SOUNDBITE 2 - Joe Sheridan, publican of closed pub (male, English, 8 sec): "I have people that would confide in me here in the bar that may not necessarily say to their GP [general practitioner doctor] what's going on with them." 11. Wide shot Joe Sheridan sitting on kegs12. Wide shot the only pub open in Dunmore ///-----------------------------------------------------------AFP TEXT STORY: FOCUSRecord pub lockdown leaves rural Ireland high and dry By Joe Stenson =(Video+Picture)= ATTENTION - Pictures by Paul Faith. Video by Joe Stenson ///Dunmore, Ireland, Sept 5, 2020 (AFP) - In the pubs of Dunmore in the west of Ireland, the Guinness glasses gather dust and the kegs are stacked dormant. Among the locals, a sober mood has taken hold.The lengthy coronavirus shutdown of pubs in Ireland has hit the 3,000 or so people in the village and surrounding area particularly hard.Five out of its six village pubs have been shut since March, depriving the community of institutions which act as pillars of rural life.Publican Joe Sheridan unbolts the door of Walsh's Bar in the County Galway village."They drink their pints along counters like that with their peers to discuss politics, to discuss the news of the day, to understand what's going on in their own life," he told AFP."I have people that would confide in me here in the bar that may not necessarily say to their GP (doctor) what's going on with them."With bars shut, "you can see the people carrying the woes of life on their faces", said Sheridan, a seventh-generation publican.Inside his wood-panelled pub, he finds a pile of unopened post and the musty smell of inactivity. Walls are jammed with group photos, sports memorabilia and dusty bottles.It is testament to the pub's fluid role as community hall, museum and an understated sort of group catharsis in the village."The lights are going out in rural Ireland," he said. - Dry spell - Irish pubs shut on March 16, as the nation braced for the coronavirus, which has so far claimed 1,777 lives.After a 15-week hibernation, those serving food were permitted to reopen.But so-called "wet pubs" serving drink only remained shut, with the government repeatedly pushing back reopening.Restrictions are due to expire on September 13 in what the Drinks Industry Group of Ireland has called the "longest lockdown in the EU".Industry bodies estimate that around half of the Republic's 7,000 pubs are still shuttered."The vast majority of these pubs are small rural outlets run by families who are on first-name terms with their customers," said Vintners Federation of Ireland chief Padraig Cribben in July.In rural Ireland, pubs have a particular character. They are modestly sized, humbly decorated and staffed by friends and family.Many are not equipped for restaurant food service.One Dunmore pub has reopened under government guidelines by pairing with a local takeaway to provide sit-in meals. - 'Meitheal' - With population flight, a declining agriculture industry and scant alternative social outlets, pubs in rural Ireland play a role that is hard to overstate.Many people in the countryside still eat their main daily meal at lunchtime, reserving a stretch of uninterrupted evening for the pub.Historically, pubs have acted as hardware stores, grocery shops and drapers, filling the void of state infrastructure with small business and mutual aid.In Dunmore, three pubs still act as undertakers when regulars die, organising the funeral and for fellow drinkers to dig the grave."It's the thing of a 'meitheal'," explained Sheridan. "It's an Irish word for a group coming together to work voluntarily." But the lockdown is "messing with traditions that have been built up over generations," he said.Dunmore village -- nested in improbably green fields laced by grey stone walls -- is home to just 600. An outsider may think its six pubs existed in fierce competition.But Sheridan views them each as nodes in an ecosystem of support with subtly different vibes and navigated by locals according to need and preference.Alcohol seems almost besides the point."It's nearly like the jungle grapevine," said the 49-year-old, who also serves as a councillor for the centre-right Fianna Fail party currently in government."The public house acts as a conduit for communities."While rural decline is nothing new, coronavirus closures are "throwing petrol on the fire", he said. - Moths and lightbulbs - Homes scattered outside Dunmore are now where Sheridan's customers -- many of them older, single men -- spend time siloed alone.Days are broken up by sprawling countryside walks -- with slim chance of social interaction -- and the clockwork visit of the postman."Here you have nothing to look at but the lightbulb, like a moth," said Brendan Jordan, 51.His three or four weekly visits to the pub gave respite from the care he gives his disabled sister."They are segregating us out here in the countryside and nobody cares," said bachelor farmer John Hussey, 52."They have everything killed in the rural areas."jts/phz/kjm/gle -------------------------------------------------------------
- The Independent
- Associated Press
The Senate Intelligence Committee has postponed a confirmation hearing — originally scheduled for Friday — for President-elect Biden's nominee for director of national intelligence, Avril Haines, until next week.Why it matters: Biden's team has pushed for swift confirmation hearings for his national security nominees, especially in the context of last week's attack on the Capitol, threats of violence surrounding next week's inauguration and global political tensions.Be smart: sign up FREE for the most influential newsletter in America. * The hearing was slated to take place in a virtual setting, which would have required the consent of all senators who sit on the panel. * Haines, who served as CIA deputy director from 2013 to 2015, and deputy national security adviser from 2015 to 2017, would be the first woman to lead the intelligence community.What they're saying: "Despite the unusual circumstances on Capitol Hill, the committee is working in good faith to move this nominee as fast as possible and ensure the committee's members have an opportunity to question the nominee in both open and closed settings," Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Mark Warner (D-Va.), the top two senators on the committee, said in a joint statement. * "The Director of National Intelligence plays a crucial role in overseeing the 18 agencies that make up our nation's Intelligence Community, and the committee looks forward to holding a hearing next week with Ms. Haines."Support safe, smart, sane journalism. Sign up for Axios Newsletters here.
- The Week
A reserve of second-dose COVID-19 vaccines set to be repurposed as first doses is already empty, state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans tell The Washington Post.Both the coronavirus vaccines currently authorized in the U.S. require two doses to be fully effective. So when distribution of first doses began, the Trump administration held back matching second doses to make sure recipients would be fully protected against COVID-19. Amid a massive demand for more doses, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced earlier this week that the department would begin doling out those reserved doses to more people, saying increased production speed would make up for the soon-to-be-depleted reserve.But as officials soon learned, the federal government had stopped stockpiling second dose vaccines weeks ago, they tell the Post. Both first and second doses were instead taken right off the manufacturing line. That meant Azar's announcement reportedly released a stockpile that didn't exist. The U.S. had already reached its maximum distribution capacity, and new doses distributors were expecting next week weren't coming, the Post reports.HHS spokesperson Michael Pratt confirmed in an email to the Post that the last of the reserve had been taken out for shipment this weekend. He didn't acknowledge Azar's comments, but said Operation Warp Speed had "always intended to transition from holding second doses in reserve as manufacturing stabilizes and we gained confidence in the ability for a consistent flow of vaccines." he also said states had only ordered 75 percent of the vaccines available to them. Read more at The Washington Post.More stories from theweek.com Trump's vaccine delay is getting suspicious Do Democrats realize the danger they are in? 5 scathing cartoons about Trump's second impeachment
- Architectural Digest
- Associated Press
- NBC News
- The Telegraph
- Charlotte Observer
An Army private first class was arraigned on sexual assault charges before a military judge.
- Associated Press
A judge has dismissed nine felony counts against a Black Lives Matter leader in Iowa who was charged with shining a laser pointer in the eyes of police officers during an August protest. Judge Paul Miller ruled Thursday that the Johnson County attorney's office violated Matè Farrakhan Muhammad's right to a speedy trial by waiting 46 days after his arrest to file a formal charging document, which was one more day than allowed by law. Muhammad, a leader of the Des Moines Black Liberation Movement, told reporters Thursday that he recently changed his name from Matthew Bruce, the name he had when he was arrested.
- Yahoo News Video
- The Week
Less than a week before the inauguration, Vice President Mike Pence has reportedly called Vice President-elect Kamala Harris to offer his congratulations.Pence and Harris spoke over the phone Thursday, with Pence congratulating the incoming vice president and offering "his belated assistance," The New York Times reported on Friday and The Associated Press confirmed.This is the first time Pence and Harris have spoken since their debate in October, and the call was "described as gracious and pleasant," the Times writes. President Trump has yet to speak with President-elect Joe Biden since the election, having spent more than two months falsely claiming to have won.Pence may invite Harris and her husband, Doug Emhoff, to the vice-presidential residence prior to next week's inauguration, according to the Times, though this is reportedly not set in stone due to scheduling issues created by the ongoing security concerns following last week's Capitol riot.Trump is reportedly expected to leave Washington, D.C. the morning of the inauguration. The president previously confirmed he will skip Biden's swearing-in, but Pence is expected to attend.More stories from theweek.com Trump's vaccine delay is getting suspicious Do Democrats realize the danger they are in? 5 scathing cartoons about Trump's second impeachment
Yemen's Houthi movement will not walk away from peace talks with the United Nations and Saudi Arabia despite the U.S. decision to designate the Iran-aligned group as a foreign terrorist organisation, the Houthi chief negotiator told Reuters. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said the designation, which will trigger sanctions against the movement and three of its leaders, will come into effect on Jan. 19 at the end of the Trump administration's term. "These (peace talks) have nothing to do with the (U.S.) decision which will not limit our movements nor our international relations," Mohammed Abdulsalam said on Thursday, adding this applied to both U.N. efforts and ceasefire talks with Riyadh.
- NBC News
A Senate aide said they do not expect this to “significantly delay the confirmation process" for Avril Haines.
- National Review
- The Week
Federal prosecutors in a new court filing reportedly point to "strong evidence" that rioters who stormed the Capitol building last week aimed to "capture and assassinate elected officials."The prosecutors included this assessment while asking a judge to detain Jacob Chansley, one of the men who was arrested and charged following the deadly Capitol riot, Reuters reports."Strong evidence, including Chansley's own words and actions at the Capitol, supports that the intent of the Capitol rioters was to capture and assassinate elected officials in the United States government," the prosecutors wrote.Supporters of President Trump stormed the Capitol building on the day Congress was meeting to certify President-elect Joe Biden's election win, leaving five people dead. Trump was subsequently impeached for a second time for "incitement of insurrection" after delivering a speech calling on his supporters to march to the Capitol building.The prosecutors in the filing reportedly wrote that the charges against Chansley "involve active participation in an insurrection attempting to violently overthrow the United States government," adding that the "insurrection is still in progress." They also revealed that Chansley, who was photographed wearing horns at Vice President Mike Pence's desk, allegedly left a note for Pence that warned, "it's only a matter of time, justice is coming," Reuters reports. The filing, Politico writes, "spells out clearly the government's view of an ongoing 'insurrection movement' that is reaching a potential climax as Biden's inauguration approaches." More stories from theweek.com Trump's vaccine delay is getting suspicious Do Democrats realize the danger they are in? 5 scathing cartoons about Trump's second impeachment
- Associated Press
- The Telegraph