Melvin Gordon's holdout is reportedly over.
According to multiple reports, Gordon will report to the Los Angeles Chargers on Thursday, bringing to an end the holdout he began during offseason workouts. The Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported the news late Wednesday night.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Gordon called the team himself to inform them he would be there Thursday. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport added that Gordon will not play this Sunday in Miami.
ESPN's Josina Anderson reported Gordon expects this to be his last season with the Chargers.
Per NFL rules, Gordon is required to report no later than Nov. 29 to play in 2019 and accrue credit for this season toward becoming a free agent in the offseason. He still could be given the franchise tag in March.
Gordon is scheduled to make $5.605 million in the final season of his rookie deal. He wants a contract that will put him in line with Todd Gurley of the Los Angeles Rams and Le'Veon Bell of the New York Jets, who make between $13 million and $14 million per season.
General manager Tom Telesco said in August the team worked to find a solution but had not been able to come up with one. At that point, Gordon and his representatives were granted permission to seek a trade, but no deal surfaced. According to multiple reports, the Chargers are asking for first- and fifth-round picks in return for Gordon.
Quarterback Philip Rivers said last month the Chargers were confident in the group of running backs available with Gordon out. Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson have combined for 302 rushing yards in three games.
A first-round pick out of Wisconsin in 2015, Gordon has rushed for 3,628 yards on 897 carries (4.0-yard average) with 28 touchdowns in four seasons. He also has 182 catches for 1,577 yards and 10 TDs.
Gordon's best season was 2017, when he played all 16 games and rushed for a career-high 1,105 yards and eight touchdowns. He also caught 58 passes for 476 yards and four TDs.
--Field Level Media