Jan. 7—The sole resident of a Greensburg home and a responding firefighter were hospitalized following a Friday night blaze that severely damaged the dwelling.
Crews were called to the home in the 600 block of Jack Street at about 11:30 p.m. and found that the resident was trapped inside, according to Greensburg Fire Chief Tom Bell.
A police officer and a neighbor were able to force open the front door, reach inside and drag the man to safety. He was lying on the floor near the door, Bell said.
The man was taken by ambulance to a local hospital and then was transferred by helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital, according to Bell.
A Greensburg fireman from Hose Co. 7 also was hospitalized early Saturday after experiencing "a little bit of confusion" and was expected later in the day to be released to go home, Bell said.
Information on the resident's condition wasn't available Saturday morning.
"We were able to get the house fire under control within about 15 minutes," Bell said. "The house is pretty severely damaged in the rear of the structure."
A cost estimate of the damage wasn't available.
Bell said the fire, which is under investigation, appears to have started in the area of the back porch.
Jeff Himler is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jeff by email at email@example.com or via Twitter .