Rise & Shine! I’m Scott Barrett, digital editor for The Daily News, and today is Nov. 6, the 310th day of the year — 55 days remain in 2021. On this day in 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected president over three other candidates. He became the first Republican candidate to win the White House.
Here & Now
• A mishmash of things to chew on as we head into the weekend:
• Mark Sullivan, who graduated from Rogers High School in the 1960s and went on to become president of the College of Saint Rose in New York, recently published a book about his experiences in life and higher education. Reporter Bethany Brunelle caught up with him, and you can read her story here.
• Veterans Day is Thursday, Nov. 11, and there are several ceremonies being held locally to honor service members past and present. See the list here.
• The Aquidneck Growers Market is getting used to its new wintertime digs at Stoneacre Garden in Brick Market Place. It's setting up shop Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon. Learn more here.
• The New England Patriots(4-4) head down the coast to Carolina, where they'll take on the Panthers (4-4) on Sunday at 1 p.m. Email your predictions (winner and final score) to email@example.com, and whoever comes closest gets a shout in Monday's newsletter. For what it's worth, I think the Patriots do just enough against a stout defense and pull out a 23-20 victory.
• The Newport Police Department on Saturday is hosting its annual Bike Safety Course and Car Seat Installation Event from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Walmart on Connell Highway. Learn more here.
• The state Department of Health is reminding parents and families about the importance of scheduling a COVID vaccine appointment. "Vaccination sites plan the amount of vaccine to have on hand using registration information," DOH said in a press release Friday. "People who arrive at vaccination clinics without appointments may not receive a vaccine if there is not enough supply at the clinic." Learn more here.
• Don't forget to turn those clocks back this weekend. But on top of that, AAA Northeast is reminding you that with the time change, there is an increased chance of "drowsy driving," even though we gain an hour of sleep by falling back. Make sure you're managing your sleep before hitting the road, the organization says.
• Sunday marks your last chance to chime in on how the city of Newport should use roughly $7 million in American Rescue Plan Act funds. The survey takes just five minutes to complete. Learn more here.
• Sunday also marks your last chance to get lost at Escobar's Corn Maze.
• Remember, it's Newport Restaurant Week, and if you're looking for a great deal, reporter Laura Damon has created quite the list. Check it out here.
The Newport Tree Conservancy on Saturday will host a tree planting volunteer event at Miantonomi Park in Newport from 1 to 3 p.m. Registration is required. Learn more here.
• Hey ladies, My Best Friend's Closet consignment sale is taking place this weekend at the Elks Club in Newport. Learn more here.
• The Butts Hill Fort Restoration group will hold another cleanup event on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. Learn more here.
• Pizza restaurants in the United States have seen a 24% increase in foot traffic since the start of 2021, according to the data scientists at brick-and-mortar marketing expert Adentro. In case you missed it, Daily News food columnist Dan Lederer earlier this month highlighted some of the best pies in Newport County. Check it out here.
• Have a happy and safe weekend!
Rise & Shine! is powered by Daily News subscribers, who make this newsletter possible. Consider becoming a digital subscriber for just pennies a day. Click here to get started.
Emma Stone (actress), 31
Ethan Hawke (actor), 51
Sally Field (actress), 75
Lorde (singer), 25
Christopher Knight (actor), 64
Joni Mitchell (singer), 78
Saturday’s low tides: 2:20 a.m., 3:21 p.m. High tides: 9:23 a.m., 9:49 p.m.
Sunday’s low tides: 2:08 a.m., 3:12 p.m. High tides: 9:15 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Saturday’s sunrise: 7:22 a.m. Sunset: 5:35 p.m.
Sunrise: 6:23 a.m. Sunset: 4:34 p.m.
Water temperature: 59.9 degrees.
Harbor Commission, 8 a.m.
George R. Hull
Today is …
National Nachos Day
Play Outside Day
Sunday is …
Daylight Saving Day
National Cancer Awareness Day
Love reading Rise & Shine! each morning? Help spread the word. Forward this email to a friend and they can sign up for the free newsletter here.
This article originally appeared on Newport Daily News: Rise & Shine! Your Newport County guide for Nov. 6-7