Rise & Shine! I’m Scott Barrett, managing editor for The Daily News, and today is May 16, the 136th day of the year — 229 days remain in 2022. On this day in 1929, the first Academy Awards ceremony was held at a dinner party for about 250 people in the Blossom Room of the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. “Wings,” which told the story of two World War I pilots, won for Best Picture.
Here & Now
• Should voters in Newport and Middletown each approve unifying the two school districts this November, the town of Middletown is considering plans to build two new schools for all of its students.
“This is the biggest educational opportunity for the future of the kids of Middletown in our lifetimes,” Paul Rodrigues, president of the Town Council, told me last week.
I break down how much the schools would cost, how much the state would pick up and the proposed location for the buildings. Read all about it here.
• Speaking of a school merger, the Newport City Council tonight will hold a special meeting to vote on a resolution that would ask the General Assembly to put before voters a ballot question on such a union. Find the agenda below.
• Last Thursday night, the Middletown Planning Board unanimously approved a list of recommendations it has for the Town Council to consider as proposed plan to create a “Middletown Center” on West Main Road moves forward. Read more here.
• The state Department of Transportation provided its roadwork update for Newport County and throughout the state for the coming week. Find it here.
• ICYMI: The Newport Gulls collegiate baseball team is in dire need of host families for the coming season. Learn more here.
• If you're shopping for colorful flowers and an array of organically grown vegetables, the Green Animals plant sale is scheduled to run daily today through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Learn more here.
• Check out the latest Newport County sports standouts with the Stars of the Day.
• From the inbox: According to a recent study, Rhode Island ranks No. 24 on a list of best states to be a police officer. Among the among the criteria examined were opportunity and competition, law enforcement training requirements and job hazards and protections. Nearby Connecticut tops the list, while Arkansas ranks last. Find the full breakdown here.
• Here's some good news: Starting today, the sun now sets past 8 p.m. daily.
Take NewportRI.com with you wherever you go with The Daily News app. It's free, it's simple to use and it keeps you in the know — no matter where you are. Click here to download it to your Apple or Android device.
Megan Fox (actress), 36
Tucker Carlson (TV host), 53
Tracey Gold (actress), 53
Janet Jackson (actress), 56
Pierce Brosnan (actor), 69
Low tides: 2:08 a.m., 1:53 p.m.
High tides: 8:33 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Sunrise: 5:23 a.m. Sunset: 8 p.m.
Water temperature: 51.3 degrees.
City Council — budget workshop, 5:30 p.m.
City Council — special meeting, 5:30 p.m.
Town Council, 6 p.m.
Open Space Commission, 6 p.m.
Harbor Commission, 7 p.m.
Library Trustees, 7 p.m.
Board of Canvassers, 9:30 a.m.
Conservation Commission, 5:30 p.m.
Town Council, 6:30 p.m.
Today is ….
National Do Something Good for Your Neighbor Day
National Piercing Day
National Barbecue Day
Where in Newport County?
250 Thames Street, which currently houses Speakeasy Bar & Grill on the first floor and office space on the second and third floors. Learn a little more on the history of this area here.
Certainly didn't fool many of you with this one. Kudos to Bernadette Griffin, Len Panaggio, Edna Beal, Penny Fitch, Robb Canning, Ann Souder, Carole Maloney, Meryl Chaum, Chris Vorro, Mary Hanos, Cherie Saunders and Lidy Schalekamp, all of whom answered correctly.
Got a news tip, story idea or just want to drop me a line? Don't be a stranger. Send an email to email@example.com.
This article originally appeared on Newport Daily News: Rise & Shine! Your Newport County guide for May 16