Rise & Shine! I’m Scott Barrett, managing editor for The Daily News, and today is Aug. 9, the 221st day of the year — 144 days remain in 2022. On this day in 1969, members of Charles Manson’s cult killed five people in the Beverly Hills home of director Roman Polanski, including Polanski’s pregnant wife, actress Sharon Tate.
Here & Now
• If you love downing Starbucks coffee, but don't always enjoy getting out of the car to order it, you could be in luck. The Middletown Planning Board on Wednesday night will take up a proposal for a new Starbucks location with a drive-through window. Read more about the plan here.
• With the future of the Choco Taco uncertain, a Newport restaurant is considering bringing back its version of the tasty ice cream treat. Check out my story here.
• Reporter Zane Wolfang has a great piece on a program in Newport that offers youths an introduction to golf when they otherwise would have no opportunity to play the game. Read the story here.
• The Portsmouth Town Council will meet tonight, and among the items on the docket is the proposed Mayflower Wind turbine project. Find the full agenda below.
• The Tiverton Town Council will meet tonight, and among the items on the docket is — you guessed it — the Mayflower Wind turbine project. The town will consider hiring an environmental lawyer to project its interests. Find the full agenda below.
• The always entertaining Down City Band will perform at Easton's Beach tonight, while Mike Warner & The Ubiquitones are set to play at the Church of St. John the Evangelist. Both shows start at 6 p.m. Learn more here.
• Christian McBurney, founder of Small State Big History, is scheduled to speak tonight at 6 p.m. at Charter Books in Newport. His most recent book is titled "Dark Voyage: An American Privateer’s War on Britain’s African Slave Trade." Learn more here.
• Rhode Island’s average gas price fell 12 cents from last week to $4.29 per gallon. That's 46 cents lower than a month ago, $1.22 higher than a year ago and 23 cents higher than the current national average, according to AAA.
• From the inbox: Speaking of gas, according to a recent study, Rhode Island ranks No. 3 on a list of gas-guzzling states, trailing only Montana and Wyoming. Strange enough, nearby Massachusetts ranks last. Find the state-by-state breakdown here.
Want breaking news sent to your phone? Sign up for The Newport Daily News app, and you'll always be the first to know when breaking news happens.
Anna Kendrick (actress), 37
Dan Levy (actor), 39
Gillian Anderson (actress), 54
Deion Sanders (athlete), 55
Sam Elliott (actor), 78
Low tides: 11:14 a.m.
High tides: 5:49 a.m., 6:23 p.m.
Sunrise: 5:46 a.m. Sunset: 7:54 p.m.
Water temperature: 73.9 degrees.
School Committee, 6:30 p.m.
Tree Commission, 3 p.m.
Conservation Commission, 5:30 p.m.
School Committee, 7 p.m.
Town Council, 7 p.m.
Town Council, 7 p.m.
Beach Commission, 7 p.m.
Today is …
National Book Lovers Day
National Women’s Day
Hold Hands Day
This nightclub, located inside a hotel across from Easton's Beach, claimed to have the "finest live rock entertainment on the island." On Halloween in 1974, it hosted a then little-known band named Twisted Sister. What was the name of the nightclub? Send guesses to email@example.com.
Love opening your Rise & Shine! email each morning? You can help support this effort by becoming a digital subscriber to The Daily News for as little as $1. Click here to get started.
This article originally appeared on Newport Daily News: Rise & Shine! Your Newport County guide for Aug. 9