Rise & Shine! I’m Scott Barrett, digital editor for The Daily News, and today is Feb. 10, the 41st day of the year — 324 days remain in 2022. On this day in 1940, the cartoon series “Tom & Jerry,” created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, made its debut.
Here & Now
• A few weeks back, reporter Sean Flynn had a story about a Rogers High school coach who was fired over inappropriate text messages he sent to student-athletes. Soon after it was published, questions were raised by some parents about school policies regarding the communication between coaches and students.
Sean explores the topic in his latest piece, talking to current coaches, administrators and athletic directors at Newport County high schools. Read it here.
• The assumed discovery of Captain James Cook's ship Endeavour has made international headlines. But if that is indeed the boat wreckage resting at the bottom of Newport Harbor, what will it mean for the city? Reporter Savana Dunning has the story.
• Gov. Dan McKee on Wednesday announced he will lift the mask or proof-of-vaccination requirement for Rhode Island businesses and other indoor venues effective Friday. The school mask mandate is expected to be lifted March 4. Get a full recap of the news conference here.
• State Sen. Louis DiPalma on Wednesday re-introduced a bill that would require safety barriers to be placed on Newport County bridges. Sean Flynn took a deep dive into this topic last July, examining the potential cost and how such barriers have prevented deaths on Cape Cod. Read that story here.
• The Jane Pickens Theater and Charter Books (owned by my neighbor Steve Iwanski) are teaming up for an event tonight that'll feature a conversation with film critic and author Dana Stevens and a screening of Buster Keaton's "The General." Learn more and purchase tickets here.
• All six Newport County communities saw a drop in COVID-19 cases from the previous week, and the county as a whole saw its lowest single-week total since mid-December. Find the latest town-by-town figures from the state Department of Health here.
• Rogers High moved past Middletown 62-56 in a rivalry game Wednesday night. Look for full coverage, including a photo gallery, coming up this morning on NewportRI.com.
• Check out the latest sports standouts in Newport County with the Stars of the Day.
• Speaking of high school sports, today marks your last chance to vote for The Newport Daily News Athlete of the Week. The poll closes at 7 p.m. Find the nominees and cast your ballot here.
• Daily News food columnist Dan Lederer writes that dog days — hot dog days, that is — don't have to be limited to summer. He recently visited the newly opened Wally's Weiners on Thames Street and has a full rundown. Read his column here.
• The city of Newport is offering free at-home COVID test kits to local nonprofit and neighborhood groups, including churches and social service providers. Learn more here.
True journalism in Newport County lives right here — at The Daily News. If you want to be fully informed and get stories you won't find elsewhere, become a digital subscriber today. Click here to get started for as little as $1.
Elizabeth Banks (actress), 48
Laura Dern (actress), 55
Glenn Beck (TV host), 58
George Stephanopoulos (TV journalist), 61
Low tides: 9:31 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
High tides: 2:49 a.m., 3:12 p.m.
Sunrise: 6:45 a.m. Sunset: 5:13 p.m.
Water temperature: 38.6 degrees.
Housing Authority, 3 p.m.
Tax Relief Ad Hoc Committee, 4 p.m.
Waterfront Commission, 6:30 p.m.
School Committee, 3:30 p.m.
Dog Park Operating Committee, 5 p.m.
Economic Development Commission, 7 p.m.
School Committee, 6:30 p.m.
Today is …
National Cream Cheese Brownie Day
National Umbrella Day
Got a news tip, story idea or just want to drop me a line? Don't be a stranger. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article originally appeared on Newport Daily News: Rise & Shine! Your Newport County guide for Feb. 10