It’s reported Long was on his way to Florida to “perhaps to carry out additional shootings.”
ZAC SUMMERS: I believe Captain Baker shared with us that they determined that the suspect was on--
--Florida, I believe, and perhaps to carry out additional shootings.
- Now at 5:00, a chilling revelation. Investigators say the man arrested for shooting and killing at least eight people at three different spas in Georgia was headed to Florida with a deadly motive. As investigators comb for clues, the 21-year-old suspect is giving them more details into why he did this.
- Now, nearly all the victims were Asian, but police say the suspect is denying that race was a motive. CBS 4's Zac Summers reports from Atlanta.
ZAC SUMMERS: The suspect, who shot and killed eight people at three Atlanta area spas, has told investigators he wasn't motivated by race.
- He made indicators that he has some issues, potentially sexual addiction, and may have frequented some of these places in the past.
ZAC SUMMERS: 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long was taken into custody after a manhunt. Police used surveillance footage to identify him and were able to track his phone.
JAY BAKER: He does claim that it was not racially motivated and sees these locations as something that allows him to go to these places, and it's a temptation for him that he wanted to eliminate.
ZAC SUMMERS: Seven of the victims are women. Six are Asian.
KEISHA LANCE BOTTOMS: A crime against any community is a crime against us all.
ZAC SUMMERS: A day later, detectives are still two of the crime scenes in Atlanta, gathering evidence and talking to witnesses.
A woman who works nearby says she knew some of the victims.
NACIREMA MARCELLE: I won't say any names, but they were really nice girls. They just do great massages. They do great massages over here. So it's just unfortunate.
ZAC SUMMERS: These killings come during a wave of nationwide attacks targeting Asian-Americans.
KAMALA HARRIS: We're not yet clear about the motive, but I do want to say to our Asian-American community that we stand with you.
ZAC SUMMERS: As a precaution, some police departments around the country have increased patrols in predominantly Asian communities. Zac Summers, CBS News, Atlanta.
- The suspect is now charged with eight counts of murder.
- Former FBI agent Stuart Kaplan tells us he believes this violent crime spree is probably the result of the suspect's mental health disorder, in this case his self-described sex addiction.
START KAPLAN: I put it in the category of a mental health disorder. Look, it's synonymous with respect to people who are alcoholics or addicted to drugs. Some of us obviously find it difficult to wrap our heads around people that have these type of addictive behaviors. But it has been a mental health issue that has been probably recognized in the last 10 years.
- Kaplan says the fact that his family is cooperating with the investigation is helping to piece together exactly what pushed Robert Long to commit such a horrible act.