Rohnert Park Casino Cancels 4,000 Guest New Year's Eve Party

Kat Schuster

ROHNERT PARK, CA — Graton Resort and Casino announced Thursday that it would cancel its New Year's Eve Party, according to multipe reports. The controversial private event was expected to gather up to 4,000 people.

Tribal Chairman Greg Sarris additionally announced that the casino would shut down at 5 p.m. New Year's Eve and reopen at 6 a.m. Saturday, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Sonoma County officials expressed concern about the event this week as it would've been held during a dire moment of the coronavirus pandemic in California. However, officials noted that the county has no jurisdiction over tribal reservations.

"It would be our preference to not have a party with 4,000 people indoors," said Paul Gullixson, a spokesman for Sonoma County during a press conference Wednesday.

County officials previously said they were in contact were Graton Resort to discuss guidance for the large event.

Under Gov. Gavin Newsom's regional stay-at-home order, indoor entertainment venues may not operate at any capacity but casinos on sovereign lands are not obligated to follow state health regulations.

In the Bay Area, Graton Resort, along with Lytton Casino San Pablo and River Rock Casico are all open but do require guests to socially distance and wear masks.

This article originally appeared on the Rohnert Park-Cotati Patch