Santa Monica’s 3rd Street Promenade Reopens After Bomb Scare – Update

Anita Bennett

Click here to read the full article.

UPDATED AT 9:02PM PT: Officials have determined a suspicious device found on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica posed no threat to the public. The Promenade and surrounding streets were expected to be reopened by 10 p.m., police said.

PREVIOUSLY:
The popular Third Street Promenade was evacuated Monday evening in Santa Monica, as police responded to a report of a suspicious package.

More from Deadline

A stretch of nearby Broadway, and the 200-300 block of Santa Monica Blvd. were closed to vehicular traffic, according to the Santa Monica Police Department.

The incident was reported around 5:30 p.m. local time after someone notified authorities saying they’d found a device resembling a pressure cooker in a trash cash.

“The SMPD is investigating a suspicious package left in a trash can in the 1400 block of the 3rd Street Promenade,” police said in a statement on Twitter at 6:03 p.m. “We are asking everyone to stay out of the 1400 block of the Promenade.”

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s bomb squad was called in to examine the item and determine if it posed a threat, police said.

The Promenade is filled with shops, restaurants and an AMC movie theater, and is a popular gathering spot for families and tourists.

Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.