School board reacts with mixed feelings about DOE investigation into Superintendent Hanna

News of a state education department investigation into whether the superintendent influenced school policy by his "personal views" has stirred mixed reactions from his colleagues on the dais.

While most of the school board expressed support, sympathy or concern for Leon County Schools Superintendent Rocky Hanna, the board chair was the only member with harsh words.

"Our Superintendent's political diatribes and combativeness with the governor have done nothing but reflect poorly on our district," Alva Smith wrote in a text message.

"Regardless of our differences, our focus must remain on the education and safety of all students. We should be building bridges, not burning them," she continued.

From left, school board members Rosanne Wood, Alva Striplin and Darryl Jones at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.
From left, school board members Rosanne Wood, Alva Striplin and Darryl Jones at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.

Subscriber exclusive:Florida education agency investigates Leon superintendent, pointing to 'personal views'

On Wednesday, the Tallahassee Democrat obtained a letter indicating that Hanna is under a "preliminary investigation" by the Florida Department of Education.

In a certified letter on Dec. 22 from Randy Kosec, chief of professional practices at the Florida Department of Education, the agency alleged Hanna has failed to take “reasonable precautions to distinguish your personal views and those of your educational institution.”

The Department of Education has not commented so It is not known what specifically the agency is targeting with the investigation, but Hanna believes the investigation stems from a complaint about an email to district teachers.

The latest: Leon Schools changes bathroom policy for transgender students as LGBTQ guide falls in line with state law

In early August, just before the fall semester started, Hanna wrote his support for teachers and said “You do you!”

“Continue to teach the standards just as you have always done and do not worry for one minute about naysayers, political and others, who are trying to mislead people and control what you can and cannot say in your classroom,” he wrote. "If someone wants to come after you, they will have to go through us and our attorneys."

Darryl Jones, Marcus Nicolas and Rosanne Wood told the Tallahassee Democrat they would continue to back the superintendent.

Superintendent Rocky Hanna, right, congratulates newly elected school board member Marcus Nicolas at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.
Superintendent Rocky Hanna, right, congratulates newly elected school board member Marcus Nicolas at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.

"I think it’s outrageous, absolutely outrageous. I read the letter that he sent to the teachers, and it was a letter of encouragement," Wood said.

She believes the investigation is harassment and intimidation.

"I’m just really worried we’re going down a dark path on treading on people’s freedom of speech," Wood said.

More:Judge dismisses lawsuit against Leon Schools that helped inspire 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Nicolas said he read the email, and the disconnect between Hanna's personal views and those of his "educational institution" aren't clearly outlined.

“In order to accuse someone of a violation, there has to be evidence to say ‘here’s the rule, here’s the violation,'" Nicolas said. "That’s how this society operates.”

Laurie Cox, right, at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.
Laurie Cox, right, at a Leon County School Board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2022.

“There has not been that transaction, and so that is concerning, because using the logic that has been used thus far, you can then accuse anyone of anything," he continued.

In a statement, Laurie Cox did not explicitly support Hanna, but she did show sympathy.

"I know our Superintendent works tirelessly and cares deeply about our district," Cox wrote in a text message. "I also know we must work together and not against our state elected officials if we want our district to continue to thrive."

Read the 'you do you' letter

Below is the letter to teachers that Rocky Hanna says sparked the state investigation.