The I Marine Expeditionary Force tweeted on August 2 that searching would cease for the eight service members who went missing after an amphibious assault vehicle sank off the coast of California.
The accident took place during a routine training exercise near the island of San Clemente on July 30, according to the US Marine Corps.
One marine was already found dead, and the eight missing service members are now also presumed deceased.
A statement says that there is "little probability of a successful rescue given the circumstances of the incident."
The accident is reportedly under investigation.
The I Marine Expeditionary Force tweeted an update about the search expedition for eight service members who went missing after an amphibious assault vehicle sank off the coast of California on July 30.
It said searching had been concluded after 40 hours, and the missing marines are now presumed dead.
"After an extensive 40-hour search, the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), I Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF), and the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) concluded their search and rescue operation for seven missing Marines and one Sailor, today," the tweet from August 2 reads.
A quote from Col. Christopher Bronzi, 15th MEU Commanding Office, was also included.
"It is with a heavy heart, that I decided to conclude the search and rescue effort," he said. "The steadfast dedication of the Marines, Sailors, and Coast Guardsmen to the persistent rescue effort was tremendous."
—I MEF (@1stMEF) August 2, 2020
One marine was found dead when the search began, and the I MEF said there was "little probability of a successful rescue" for the others "given the circumstances of the incident."
The accident occurred during a routine training exercise near the island of San Clemente, the US Marine Corps told Business Insider in a statement when the search began.
Two marines were found injured at the start of the search and rescue efforts. One is in critical condition and one is in stable condition.
The incident is reportedly under investigation, and "all AAVs across the fleet will be inspected," the Corps' top general said.
Read the original article on Business Insider