- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
- American football player and coach
Cornerback Emory Floyd of Powder Springs, Georgia committed to South Carolina in July, and he has held to that pledge through thick and thin. And there’s no real indication he will break it now just eight days before signing day. But Florida hasn’t given up the fight.
Floyd (6-1, 165) said he continues to hear from the Gators and will have an in-home visit with his recruiter this week. And that might lead to an official visit this weekend.
“I’m committed 100% to South Carolina, but there are still teams trying to get at me,” Floyd said. “But right now, I’m just trying to stay committed to South Carolina. Florida is still coming at me hard. There’s a new coaching staff and they still want to keep in contact with me to see where my head is at. But I’m still 100% committed to South Carolina.”
Floyd said he’s not yet talked with new Florida coach Billy Napier, but his Florida recruiter wants to set that up. And they wants Floyd to visit officially this weekend.
“That’s what they want me to do, but I don’t know yet,” Floyd said. “I’ve got to talk to my parents. I don’t know if I’m going to go down there yet. I’d say it’s 80-20. It all depends on how my parents feel about it. I just know I’m locked in all the way with South Carolina.”
USC head coach Shane Beamer along with defensive assistants Clayton White and Torrian Gray were in for their visit with Floyd last week. Gray is planning to return Thursday, and Florida cornerbacks coach Jules Montinar might be in as well this week.
Recruiting news and notes
▪ Shane Beamer did make his in-home visit Monday with defensive tackle D’Andre Martin of Durham, North Carolina. Martin decommitted from Virginia Tech on Sunday. He took an official visit with the Gamecocks for the Auburn weekend.
Martin said Beamer arrived around 10:30 a.m. and they just had a casual conversation. “We were just talking about football and how my story went from me changing positions (from WR to DE). Things like that, not anything too crazy.”
Martin seems to be strongly focused on the Gamecocks at this point and will announce on Dec. 15.
▪ Wide receiver Camden Brown of Fort Lauderdale on Monday named his top five as USC, Pitt, Florida State, Auburn and Georgia. He’s a former Pitt commitment who took an official visit to Auburn last weekend. He had scheduled an official visit to USC for this coming weekend, but he has changed that to Georgia. Brown said last week he plans to sign on the 15th.
▪ USC offered 2023 TE Andrew Rappleyea (6-4 215) who attends school in Milton, MA.
▪ TE Peyton Strickland, who has a PWO offer from USC, committed to New Hampshire.
▪ Hartsville native RB Tiyon Evans is transferring from Tennessee to Louisville.
▪ Chapman WR DJ Black was offered by Catawba.
▪ Class of 2023 basketball prospect GG Jackson of Ridge View High attended the USC game Sunday against Georgetown.