By Tarek Amara TUNIS (Reuters) - Tunisian security officials said on Wednesday a suicide bomber carried out the attack on a presidential guard bus, killing at least 13 and forcing the government to impose a nationwide state of emergency. Tuesday's blast on a main boulevard in the capital underscored Tunisia's vulnerability to Islamist militancy following the gun assaults on a Sousse hotel in June and the Bardo Museum in Tunis in March, both claimed by Islamic State. No group claimed responsibility for Tuesday's attack. But Tunisia has increasingly become a target for militants after being hailed as an example of democratic change since its 2011 uprising ousted autocrat Zine Abidine Ben Ali. "This is an evolution in the behaviour of the terrorists, this time they attacked a symbol of the state and in the heart of the capital," Prime Minister Habib Essid told reporters after an emergency security meeting. It was also the first suicide bombing in the capital. In October 2013 a bomber blew himself up on a beach in Sousse, and previously an al Qaeda suicide bomber attacked the synagogue in Djerba, killing 21 people. Troops and armed police patrolled the city streets and set up checkpoints searching vehicles and pedestrians. At Tunis international airport security forces were allowing in only passengers travelling. Security officials said the bomber blew himself up as presidential guards were boarding a bus on the main Mohamed V Avenue to travel to the presidential palace for duty. "According to the preliminary details, the attacker was wearing a bag on his back. He had on a coat and was wearing headphones. He blew himself up just getting into the door of the bus with military explosives," Hichem Gharbi, a presidential security official, told local Shems FM radio. One of the most secular countries in the Arab World, Tunisia has enjoyed relative stability since its 2011 uprising compared with its North African neighbours Libya and Egypt. It has a new constitution, free elections and a compromise politics between secular and Islamist parties that has allowed progress. But fighting Islamist militants has become a major challenge for a country heavily reliant on tourism for its revenues. In the early chaotic days after its revolution, ultra-conservative Islamists gained ground and recruited among young Tunisians and took over mosques. More than 3,000 Tunisians are now fighting for Islamic State or other militant groups in Iraq, Syria and neighbouring Libya. Some have threatened to return to carry out attacks in Tunisia. The gunmen in the Sousse and Bardo attacks were all trained in jihadist camps in Libya. The government has cracked down on hardline preachers and taken back mosques. It is also building a security wall along the border with Libya to try to stop militants crossing over into its territory. (Reporting by Tarek Amara; Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Janet Lawrence)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Men's Health
Pulmonary medicine and critical care specialist Dr. Mike Hansen explains what you need to know about the new Covid-19 strain known as the Omicron variant.
- Yahoo Sports
Joe Buck has jokes, everyone.
- Madame Noire
Venus And Serena’s Half-Sister Slams ‘King Richard’ Biopic: ‘Those Girls Rose To The Top While His Children Had To Suffer’
Sabrina Williams's late mother, Betty Johnson, was married to the former tennis coach in the early sixties. The couple had four children together shortly before Williams allegedly walked out on his family according to the Wimbledon champs estranged sister.
- Rolling Stone
"For the Intelligence Community, the Trump transition was far and away the most difficult in its historical experience with briefing new presidents," a new CIA report said
- USA TODAY
Two-year-old Emma Sweet was found three miles downstream from where her father had been found by duck hunters on Friday.
- Touchdown Wire
Oklahoma is making a list of coaching candidates and Kliff Kingsbury is on it
Who doesn’t love baby bump photos? Some are silly, some are majestic ala Beyonce and Halsey — and some give us a rare glimpse into how some private celebrities are handling their pregnancies. This time, famously private A-lister Christina Ricci gave us a glimpse into her life with a rare bare baby bump selfie. Motherhood […]
- Belleville News-Democrat
How does your southwestern Illinois community compare to others?
- Footwear News
Trump wore a lacy blouse to celebrate Thanksgiving with mom Marla Maples.
Divers off the coast of New Zealand came face to face with a giant sea worm that was almost 30-foot long. The creature is called a pyrosome, and while it might look intimidating, it’s actually perfectly safe to approach. Pyrosomes are part of a family of sea creatures known as tunicates or “sea squirts”. They’ve … The post Divers discovered a horrifying 26-foot sea worm that only comes out at night appeared first on BGR.
- College Football News
What will the Coaches Poll powered by USA TODAY potentially look like? It's our prediction and best guess on what the latest rankings will be after Week 13
- Vols Wire
How Lincoln Riley at USC impacts Josh Heupel and Oklahoma's head coaching search.
- Auburn Wire
Here are all of the missed penalties on Alabama's final drive.
- The Daily Beast
Clemens Bilan/Getty ImagesA new book claims Prince Charles privately discussed with his wife the likely “complexion” of any children of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.The potentially devastating accusation appears in the latest book by the New York Times best-selling author Christopher Andersen. But the author stops short of directly alleging that Charles is the royal racist who expressed “concerns” to Prince Harry over the skin color of the couple’s children, as Meghan Markle told Oprah in a bo
- Business Insider
The organizer of the 'Stop the Steal' rally that led up to the Capitol riot said he will comply with a congressional subpoena because he doesn't have 'money to spend on legal bills'
"The only reason I'm going is because I don't want to go to jail," Ali Alexander said in a Telegram message Saturday night.
(Bloomberg) -- The Chinese businessman had walked out of a bank in Kinshasa with 13,624 hundred-dollar bills, 10,001 fifties and 43,000 smaller U.S. notes, despite explicit instructions to prevent it from happening.Most Read from BloombergBillionaire Family Feud Puts a Century-Old Business Empire in JeopardyAn Arab City’s Booming Art Scene Is Also a Grab at Soft Power“The account has finally been emptied,” Yvon Douhore, head of an in-house audit team in the capital of the Democratic Republic of
- The Daily Beast
GoFundMeOn November 19, Nathan Valencia, a 20-year-old Las Vegas college junior and fraternity member, fought a member of another campus fraternity in the “main event” of an annual boxing match.According to an Instagram flyer leading up to Kappa Sigma Fight Night, proceeds for the annual event were supposed to support Center Ring Boxing, a youth boxing club in Las Vegas.But the friendly match quickly turned tragic. View this post on Instagram A post shared by 𝐊𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐚 𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐦𝐚 (@unlvkappasigma) Accord
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
What happened in this video is enough to shake any golfer.
- Bears Wire
The Bears are expected to consider some high-profile offensive coaches to replace Matt Nagy, who is expected to be fired after this season.
- The Daily Beast
Tiziana Fabi/Getty ImagesRudy Guede, who was convicted of raping and killing British student Meredith Kercher and who was released from jail early this past week, insinuated Amanda Knox and her ex-lover Raffaelle Sollecito were the ones who “inflict[ed] the stab wounds” in the gruesome 2007 murder. Guede, who spent 13 years in jail for the crime, maintained his innocence in his first post-jail interview with Britain’s The Sun, even as Knox pleaded with him to clear her name. “I know the truth an