The South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee is getting people in the holiday spirit with Shamrock Our Blocks.
- Every year the South Side Irish Parade brings thousands of people to the community, but for the second year in a row, the parade is canceled. So this year organizers wanted to find a way to really support businesses that usually see a boost from the parade. And they came up with Shamrock Our Blocks. And Tim McSweeney is the co-chair of the South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee and joins us this morning. So great to have you this morning. Thanks for being part of our show.
TIM MCSWEENEY: Oh, thanks very much. It's nice to be here. It's great to talk to you.
- It is so fabulous to see the river green this morning, we had Trinity Irish dancers. And to know that the South Side is still celebrating is fabulous. So tell us all about Shamrock Our Blocks and how it's going.
TIM MCSWEENEY: Well, It's going fantastic. We're, we're having a ball down here, we're having lots of fun. Folks always decorate their house for St. Patrick's Day for the South Side Irish Parade, but this year we are having a ball. The idea is decorate your house for the South Side Irish parade. And we've got celebrity judges today there. We've been-- they are driving around, they're looking at all the houses, and they will select a winner. It'll be announced tonight via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, about 5:00.
And this contest, to enter the contest, all the proceeds are going to go towards our local businesses along Western Avenue and 111th street who've supported the parade over the years. So, so we're having a lot of fun with it.
- Yeah. That is just a great way to do this, too. And, you know, local businesses are usually slammed down there on the South Side. So the impact from the pandemic, obviously, has been very hard for them. But how has this been, not only raising money, but also raising, selling signs to make sure that there's some money there for the businesses as well?
TIM MCSWEENEY: Oh, exactly. So, so we're, we're just we're coming together to keep the, the spirit in the joy of the South Side Irish Parade alive until next year, to keep this thing going. And the community as a whole has really embraced the whole idea, so.
- I want to know about the Shamrock Our Block. You said the winner's going to be announced. How is that going to happen? Will it be a big surprise? And you said it's on Facebook Live. So who's Facebook page?
TIM MCSWEENEY: Right. Well, the Facebook page South Side Irish Parade on the Facebook page, as well as you can get a link to it on our website page, southsideirishparade.org. So, so, so that's the idea. So 5:00 this evening, we're going to announce the winner.
- All right. Thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing some South Side Irish pride and a lot of the festivities, too. Even though you can't have the parades, it's great that something's happening, so thank you.
TIM MCSWEENEY: Right thank you very much. Yeah. Things are very green down here. It's great.
- Yeah. It is great, great to see all the green this weekend. No doubt. All right. Have a good one. Congratulations on the big contest today, too. So you could find out the winners later today, too, on the South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade. Again, the Facebook page, they're going to be announcing that live on Facebook coming up at 5:00 tonight. So that is another great, great thing for St. Patrick's Day weekend as we continue on this Saturday morning.