Sheriff's office seeks suspect in double homicide near West Alameda

Nov. 14—An Albuquerque man suspected of fatally shooting his ex-girlfriend and her teenage son Monday night at a home off West Alameda Street remained at large Tuesday evening.

Local and state law enforcement agencies began a manhunt for Jose Antonio "Adrian" Roman, 44, late Monday, after police said he ran from an officer near the scene of a shooting on Prince of Peace, a small county road between West Alameda and N.M. 599.

Roman is considered "armed and extremely dangerous," according to a bulletin issued Tuesday morning by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

Roman has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and a string of violent felonies.

He is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend, 46-year-old Carmen Navarrete, and her 15-year-old son at their home on Prince of Peace, while Navarrete's other children and grandchildren hid in fear for their lives.

The sheriff's office has not named the deceased teen boy.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after Roman was accused of brutally beating Navarrete and less than a week after she obtained a restraining order against him, alleging he had threatened to kill her if she went to police.

Deputies received a warning Monday evening from Roman's son — via Albuquerque police — that his father had taken a shotgun and might be on his way to Santa Fe to harm Navarrete.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office received the call from Albuquerque police at 9:13 p.m. Monday requesting a welfare check at Navarrete's home, according to a news release.

Roman's son told police his father had arrived at his home intoxicated an hour earlier, took a shotgun and "made comments that he was going to harm [Navarrete]," an investigator wrote in an arrest warrant affidavit.

At 9:19 p.m., emergency dispatchers in Santa Fe received a 911 call from a cellphone at Navarrete's residence from someone who said an ex-boyfriend was at the house with a gun, the affidavit states, adding, "shortly after, Dispatch received reports of shots being fired at the residence."

A deputy who arrived at the home at 9:22 p.m. reported a man was attempting to leave in a white Nissan pickup truck, the investigator wrote. The driver rammed the officer's vehicle before driving the truck into a ditch nearby and then running off.

Police found Navarrete and her son dead from gunshot wounds inside the house. Navarrete's other adult and minor children, along with an infant grandchild, were in the home during the incident and told police they had barricaded themselves in bathrooms and bedrooms.

One of Navarrete's daughters told police she found her mother shot in the master bedroom and yelled for the other family members to "get down" and hide after seeing the barrel of a shotgun through a shot-out kitchen window. Multiple people in the house called 911.

Each of Navarrete's children told police Roman previously had threatened to kill their mother and them.

Navarrete had filed for a protective order against Roman in a domestic violence complaint Nov. 8, writing in Spanish he had choked her and threatened to kill her one night in late October after the two had an argument.

The First Judicial District Court issued a temporary no-contact order the next day, with a hearing scheduled Nov. 29 to determine if a longer-term protective order would be approved.

Roman was charged with several felony counts tied to the incident, including charges of aggravated assault and false imprisonment. A warrant for his arrest was issued Nov. 1.

Navarrete wrote in the complaint she and Roman had gotten into an argument Oct. 28 at his home in Albuquerque, and he choked her and threatened to kill her with a knife.

"I screamed and ran to his room to get my things but he restrained me and didn't want to let me leave the house," she wrote, according to an English translation of her domestic violence complaint. "I called the police but they didn't speak Spanish and I was connected to an interpreter."

Roman then beat her with a rifle, she alleged in the complaint, leaving bruising and injuries on her hands and face. She wrote he also told her "he'd kill me before I send the police for him."

"He became my former partner the moment he hit me, and I don't want to see him again," she wrote.

At least a dozen law enforcement vehicles lined Prince of Peace on Tuesday morning, near Navarrete's residence. A tow truck pulled a white Nissan truck out of a nearby arroyo as armed deputies swept the area.

The sheriff's office posted a bulletin on Facebook on Tuesday morning warning Roman was suspected in an active homicide investigation.

"Do not approach this individual," the bulletin states. "He is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

Later in the morning, the sheriff's office issued messages to some cellphones in the area about the search for Roman.