Shock G died from accidental overdose of meth, alcohol and fentanyl, records show

·1 min read

TAMPA — Hip-hop artist Shock G died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, alcohol and methamphetamine prior to being found unreponsive at a Tampa hotel in April, new records show.

Gregory Edward Jacobs’ cause of death was previously unreported, though records show that the 57-year-old struggled with drug use ahead of his death. The latest details were outlined in an “initial case summary” released by the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner.

The former rapper had been staying at Vista Inn and Suites on E Bearss Avenue. He was due to check out on April 22 but hadn’t left his room, the document said. So the hotel manager went to Jacobs’ room to check on him.

That’s where Jacobs was discovered unconscious on a bed. First responders with Tampa Fire Rescue were called and later pronounced him dead.

The report said there were no obvious signs of trauma and that Jacobs had a history of alcohol and methamphetamine abuse.

Michelle VanDyke, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office, said in an email that Jacobs’ final autopsy report has not been finalized.

Jacobs was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., but spent much of his childhood in Tampa. He rapped under the aliases of Shock G, Humpty Hump and Piano Man on classic raps like The Humpty Dance and Doowutchyalike as part of a storied musical career that included collaborations with artists such as Prince, Dr. Dre and Tupac Shakur.

The address listed for the former rapper on the report was a house in Lutz. His funeral was held on May 1 in Tampa.