Holiday shoppers have been warned over and over this year to shop early.
Supply-chain problems, due to a variety of issues, could affect what goods are in stock or when they arrive at stores or a buyer’s doorstep, especially at big-box chains such as Target or Walmart or online giant Amazon.com.
Add in the inevitable shipping delays bound to happen during the giving season with the United States Postal Service and other carriers, and it might be a good idea to shop closer to home this year.
After the past 18 months that area small businesses have endured because of the pandemic, central Ohio entrepreneurs would more than welcome helping gift-givers select that perfect present to put under the Christmas tree, open as the menorah is lighted, or simply show a loved one what they mean to you at any point during this holiday season.
Shopping small and local, although it’s been a mantra for several years, will perhaps be even more important — for both businesses and consumers — in 2021 than in the past.
With that in mind, The Dispatch put together this gift guide from area businesses to get shoppers started on checking off their to-do items.
And while no means exhaustive, here’s a sampling of gift ideas for nearly anyone on your nice list:
Holiday gifts for Columbus sports fanatics
• The Original SPIbelt, $24.99, from Columbus Running Company: This belt pouch, which comes in a variety of colors and prints, holds a smartphone as well as keys, credit cards, cash and even a passport. Although it’s an ideal gift for a runner, this accessory also works for any gym activity as well as hiking, traveling or jamming out at a music festival. (Available in stores and online at www.columbusrunning.com)
• OSU Jam Wilson and Olave T-shirt, $32, from Homage: For the first time because of name, image and likeness deals, Homage is featuring current Buckeyes on its buttery, soft, vintage-feel apparel. This scarlet-and-gray version of the arcade throwback classic features two of the Buckeyes' favorite wide receivers, Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave. (Available in select stores and online at www.homage.com)
• CBJ Holiday Pack, starting at $99, Columbus Blue Jackets: This special includes two game tickets to two games of your choice, plus a limited-edition Blue Jackets Homage T-shirt. (Available online at nhl.com/bluejackets or Nationwide Arena, 200 W. Nationwide Blvd.)
• Columbus 96 Yellow Crew Neck Fleece, $45, from Supporter Supply Co.: Feels like wearing a hug. The heathered mustard crew neck sweatshirt pays Homage to the Columbus Crew's roots as one of original MLS clubs from the inaugural season in 1996. This will keep fans cozy all winter until the Crew takes the field again the end of February. (Available online at www.supportersupply.co)
Sports memorabilia: Can sports cards make money? Some in central Ohio say yes
Holiday gifts for the foodie
• Breakfast Gift Set, $55, from Lopaus Point: Breakfast fanatics will love this prepared bundle that includes two packs of gluten-free, small-batch, handmade waffles (choice of blueberry or chocolate chip) as well as locally sourced Milligan's Maple Syrup, coffee mug, bamboo toaster tongs and an insulated lunch tote. (Available online at www.lopauspoint.com)
• Cookies & Beer: Abominable Haze + Citrus Shortbread, $21.99, from Wolf's Ridge Brewing: This gift includes a four pack of Abominable Haze, a double dry-hopped white IPA, and five freshly baked citrus shortbread cookies. It's one of four pairings of seasonal beers and cookies available this holiday season from the Downtown brewery. (Available online at www.wolfsridgebrewing.com)
• Deluxe wine-making kit, $195, from the Winemaker's Shop: Even the biggest of wine connoisseurs will enjoy a bottle of wine that they made themselves. These kits make the process easy and manageable as this package includes all the equipment and ingredients one would need to make 30 bottles of vino ready in about four to six weeks. (Available in store, 3517 N. High St. )
• Cocktail Jams gift set, $38, from Prospect Jams Co.: This curated collection features three favorite jams for making cocktails in 10-ounce jars. The jams, which include flavors such as blood orange marmalade with rye whiskey, and vanilla bean, also come with three recipe cards so you can impress friends at your next happy hour. (Available online at www.prospectjamco.com and several retailers listed on the website)
Holiday gifts for the little ones
• "Apparently I’m Dramatic" tee, $20, from Jamison & Bexley: This statement tee is sure to turn heads whenever your child wears it. The 100%-cotton crew neck is made-to-order and although the saying might be most appropriate for toddlers, this piece also comes in youth and adult sizes for an additional cost. (Available online at www.jamisonandbexley.com)
Things to do with kids for the holidays: 17 holiday events in Columbus that are fun for the whole family
• Sound cubes, $38, from Cub Shrub: These sound cube building blocks are so fun to stack with, whether on the floor or as decoration on a shelf, and each wooden piece makes a unique sound when shaken or pressed. Plus, they're designed by local artist Suzy Ultman. (Available in store, 1257 Grandview Ave. or online at www.cubshrub.com)
• Dough sensory kits, $30-$40, from Splendid Box, Co.: These themed (unicorn, dinosaurs, holidays) moldable dough kits feature one or two packs of colorful, homemade dough and a variety of trinkets, decorations and cutting utensils to allow a child's imagination to run wild — and give mom or dad so much needed down time. (Available online at www.splendidboxco.com, with a local pickup option available)
Holiday gifts for those who need relaxation
• Peppermint Yule Log Soap, $10, from Glean Artisan Bath & Body: This locally handmade soap will fill your home with the scent of festive peppermint candy sticks for the holidays. Colored with mica, which is natural finely ground stone, and adorned in eco-glitter, each bar is skin- and Earth-friendly, too. (Available online at www.shopglean.com)
• Botanical Body Spritz Set, $28, from Under Aurora: This gift set allows users to sample each of the seven scents, which include floral, fruity and woodsy notes. These body spritzes are 100% natural, plant-based fragrances handcrafted using a unique blend of essential oils in an alcohol base, perfect for after showers or everyday use. (Available online at www.underaurora.net and locally at Wild Cat Gift & Party, 3515 N. High St.)
Holiday gifts for home decorators
• Vintage decanters, $10 to $55, from the Little Light Collective: While you never know just what you'll discover at this vintage co-op — where old things and artists shine their light — glass decanters of various shapes and sizes can be found there most days. These, as well as candle holders, are a favorite go-to gift according to the store's owner. (Available in-store, 3041 Indianola Ave. )
• Happy Everything Base and Attachment by Coton Colors, $18.95 for attachments and $34.95 and up for base dishes, from the Farm Table on 62: These interchangeable bases (platters, cookie jars, picture frames) and attachments (seasonal and holiday-themed) are the perfect gift for any entertainer as they allow him or her to be festive for any celebration. (Available in store, 3952 Broadway, Grove City, and online at www.the-farm-table-on-62.myshopify.com)
Love to decorate? Here's a chance to showcase your holiday decorating
• Reusable Swedish Dishcloth 3-Pack, $18, from Koko: Wiping up never looked so cute when you use these reusable Swedish dishcloths that come in a variety of prints. They soften when wet, wash and dry easily and are biodegradable, making the need for paper towels obsolete. (Available in store, 15 N. Westmoor Ave. and 3023 Indianola Ave. and online at www.kokotheshop.com)
• Thanksgiving cactus, $5.99 to $17.99 depending on size, from Groovy Plants Ranch: The Schlumbergera truncata, also known as the Thanksgiving cactus, is a very charming fall-and-winter-flowering houseplant that features flattened stems, which will eventually produce beautiful flowers. It's easy to care for, making it a popular gift around the holidays. (Available in store, 4140 County Road 15, Marengo, or online at www.groovyplantsranch.com)
Holiday gifts For artsy folks
• Patterned Cowrie earrings, $18.50, from Whimsical Black Girl: These eclectic earrings feature geometric shapes and gold cowrie shells made from polymer clay. They're handcrafted and made-to-order, plus have metal backings that are safe for sensitive skin. (Available online at www.whimsicalblackgirl.com)
• Lap looms, $28, from Yarn it & Haberdashery: These adorable little wooden looms allow people to try weaving on a small scale. For those more experienced in the fiber arts, the tool can be used to create masterpieces from yarn scraps. The pieces are made by local artisan A Hare Affair. (Available in store, 1093 W. 1st Ave., Grandview Heights)
Craft gifts around Columbus: Find locally produced, unique holiday gifts at Ohio Craft Museum
• Aelfie animal pillows, $75, from the Museum Store at the Columbus Museum of Art: Art doesn't just belong on the walls, as these whimsical animal pillows would look great on any couch or bed. Each plush throw pillow, which comes in different animal shapes such as cats and cheetahs, is colorfully embroidered with an organic cotton cover and will make even the most serious person smile. (Available in store, 480 E. Broad St., no museum admission required)
This article originally appeared on The Columbus Dispatch: Christmas holiday gift ideas from local Columbus businesses