Broadway performers put on a show in Times Square on Friday to mark one year since Broadway shows closed amid the pandemic. The theaters are still shuttered with no end in sight. (March 12)
MEN: (SINGING) They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway.
WOMEN: (SINGING) On Broadway.
MEN: (SINGING) Hey!
WOMEN: (SINGING) Take me away! No way!
MEN: But that they're wrong, I know they are.
MATTHEW BRODERICK: I'm so happy to be back. Is this back? We're sort of getting back, and I just love seeing you all. You're such a-- beautiful job, and I'm very excited to be here.
CHITA RIVERA: Today, arts workers are in pain. They need funding and support to rebuild and grace our stages again. And I'm so pleased to be here supporting these incredible institutions like Broadway Cares, giving artists the opportunity to do what they do best and that is heal, heal and fill New York City with joy.
- (SINGING) Would sure be nice to be back home again.
WOMEN: (SINGING) Like yours, like mine!
- (SINGING) Giving me enough time in my life to grow up.
- (SINGING) Leave your Jesus hour.
- (SINGING) Join us!
- (SINGING) Humour handled by a master.
- Kings and things do take by storm.
- (SINGING) As we go along.