Six Massillon police officers promoted to lieutenant, captain ranks

MASSILLON – Multiple Police Department officers climbed to higher ranks Wednesday afternoon at a downtown ceremony.

A half-dozen officers made the jump to lieutenant or captain during a swearing-in service on Duncan Plaza. The event was hosted by Mayor Kathy Catazaro-Perry, who administered the oath to officers.

Promoted from lieutenant to captain were officers Michael Maier and Jason Saintenoy. Making the jump from sergeant to lieutenant were Nick Antonides, Josh Edwards, Rich Leon and Jason McCune.

Related news:Capt. Bill Peel sworn in as interim Massillon police chief; replaces retiring Moser

Each officer was sworn in individually by Catazaro-Perry.

"The pride you feel today comes from accomplishing your goals, and helping to improve the lives of others," the mayor said during her introductory remarks. "Be a catalyst to energize the department and make change. ... This is your time."

Massillon police promotion ceremony well attended on Duncan Plaza

Nearly 40 people, mostly other city and Stark County police officers, as well as family members of those being promoted, attended the event.

Maier said moments after the swearing-in that his promotion to captain was still sinking in. He called it a proud day.

"We've been doing the job as captain (and lieutenants) since July (following the promotion of Capt. Bill Peel to chief). So we've got our hands a little wet here," Maier said.

More Massillon police news:Officer Taylore Trsinar is city's first female detective

Wednesday's promotion ceremony had the largest number of high-ranking officer promotions in at least 20 years, according to Peel, who attributed the advancement to recent retirements within the department.

"I can't remember the swearing-in of two captains and more than one lieutenant at a time," the chief said. "This kind of hit us all at once."

The city's police force stands at about three dozen officers, said Peel, noting that ramping up to 48 is the ultimate goal.

"Hopefully we'll be up to full staff by this time next year," he said.

Reach Steven at steven.grazier@indeonline.com. On Twitter: @sgrazierINDE

This article originally appeared on The Independent: Massillon Police Department captain lieutenant promotions