Smoke was coming from a Charlotte Mediterranean eatery — it caused $65K in damages.
A Mediterranean restaurant on Sharon Amity Road in Charlotte suffered around $65,000 in damages after a fire Sunday, according to the Charlotte Fire Department.
Crews were called 12:45 p.m. to Al-Basha, a Mediterranean grill and hookah, at 3145 N Sharon Amity Road because smoke was coming from the roof.
Charlotte Fire officials tweeted that it took 10 minutes to control the fire and no injuries were reported.
Investigators deemed the fire accidental. The fire originated in the kitchen ventilation system, which allowed fire to extended to the roof, according to the fire department’s twitter.
STRUCTURE FIRE UPDATE; 3100 block of Sharon Amity Rd; CFD Investigators deemed the fire accidental; the fire originated in the kitchen ventilation system which allowed fire to extended to the roof; estimated fire loss $65k; no other businesses affected. https://t.co/X7kegFSshF pic.twitter.com/N7SLcfMbkX
— Charlotte Fire Dept (@CharlotteFD) March 19, 2023
No other businesses were affected.
Al-Basha was featured in The Charlotte Five last January for places to eat if you’re on the Mediterranean diet.
An attempt made by the Charlotte Observer to reach restaurant management was unsuccessful.
According to its website, Karam Mabrok opened Al-Basha Grill and Hookah Lounge after working in the restaurant business for more than two decades.