Smoke, water damage at Loop stores after fire

·1 min read

Jun. 28—METHUEN — A late-night fire Sunday ignited in a store at The Loop, fire officials said.

An electrical fire occurred near a register at Olympia in the retail center located at 90 Pleasant Valley St.

The fire triggered the store's sprinkler system, which worked exactly as it's supposed to, officials said.

"The sprinklers knocked down the majority of it," said Fire Chief Timothy Sheehy, of the blaze.

No injuries were reported.

There was smoke and water damage to Olympia, another store nearby, The Loft, as well as a vacant storefront which was last used as an area to administer COVID-19 vaccine.

Firefighters responded at 10:55 p.m. and there for about two hours.

Lawrence and Salem, N.H. firefighters responded to Methuen as mutual aid coverage.

Follow staff reporter Jill Harmacinski on Twitter @EagleTribJill.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting