Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Blake Snell posted a 2-1 record on Saturday to clinch a playoff spot in the MLB The Show Players League.
Snell moved to 21-4, while second-place Joey Gallo (19-4) of the Texas Rangers was idle.
The 2018 American League Cy Young winner continued his dominance, beating Colorado Rockies outfielder David Dahl 13-0 and Los Angeles Angels pitcher Ty Buttrey 6-0. Only Washington Nationals outfielder Juan Soto got the best of Snell, winning 2-0.
Gallo's magic number fell to one to clinch one of eight spots in the playoffs.
The online tournament utilizing the "MLB The Show 20" game features one player from each of the 30 major league teams. The charity event is helping fill some time for players and fans with the baseball season shut down indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
All players will square off once in a 29-game round robin over three weeks. Each regular-season game lasts three innings, and there are extra innings when needed.
The postseason will culminate in a May 3 World Series. The playoffs will utilize a best-of-three format until the World Series, which will be best-of-five.
Sony Interactive Entertainment and Major League Baseball, in cooperation with the players association, will donate $5,000 on behalf of each player to a Boys and Girls Club in his community. A total of $175,000 will be donated, including the World Series prize of $25,000.
Among the other top players, San Diego Padres infielder Fernando Tatis Jr. was 2-3 on the day to fall from sixth place into a tie for eighth with pitcher Amir Garrett (2-1 on Saturday) of the Cincinnati Reds. Garrett and Tatis have 17-10 records.
Chicago White Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito (3-1) moved from a tie for seventh place into sole possession of sixth place at 17-9.
MLB The Show Players League standings, through Saturday:
x-1. Tampa Bay Rays' Blake Snell, 21-4
2. Texas Rangers' Joey Gallo, 19-4
3. Toronto Blue Jays' Bo Bichette, 15-5
4. Los Angeles Dodgers' Gavin Lux, 18-7
5. New York Mets' Jeff McNeil, 15-7
6. Chicago White Sox's Lucas Giolito, 17-9
7. New York Yankees' Tommy Kahnle, 13-7
T8. San Diego Padres' Fernando Tatis Jr., 17-10
T8. Cincinnati Reds' Amir Garrett, 17-10
10. Baltimore Orioles' Dwight Smith Jr., 15-9
11. Chicago Cubs' Ian Happ, 13-9
12. Minnesota Twins' Trevor May, 12-9
T13. Milwaukee Brewers' Josh Hader, 13-10
T13. Arizona Diamondbacks' Jon Duplantier, 13-10
15. Washington Nationals' Juan Soto, 15-12
16. Oakland Athletics' Jesus Luzardo, 13-11
17. Kansas City Royals' Brett Phillips, 12-12
18. Atlanta Braves' Luke Jackson, 12-13
T19. Philadelphia Phillies' Rhys Hoskins, 10-13
T19. San Francisco Giants' Hunter Pence, 10-13
21. St. Louis Cardinals' Matt Carpenter, 10-14
22. Houston Astros' Lance McCullers Jr., 9-13
23. Miami Marlins' Ryne Stanek, 8-15
24. Seattle Mariners' Carl Edwards Jr., 6-15
25. Detroit Tigers' Niko Goodrum, 7-19
26. Los Angeles Angels' Ty Buttrey, 6-18
27. Colorado Rockies' David Dahl, 6-20
28. Cleveland Indians' Carlos Santana, 5-18
29. Pittsburgh Pirates' Cole Tucker, 4-17
30. Boston Red Sox's Eduardo Rodriguez, 2-19
x-clinched playoff spot
--Field Level Media