- An influencer who launched a nudes-for-donations plan to help fight the Australian bushfires says she has raised $700,000.
- On Saturday, Kaylen Ward, known as "The Naked Philanthropist," tweeted that those who donated at least $10 and showed her proof would be sent a nude photo.
- On Monday, the 20-year-old from Los Angeles tweeted that she estimated $700,000 was raised as a result of her endeavor.
- Ward told BuzzFeed News she hired four people to help her sift through her DMs and verify the donations.
- "I was seeing all the posts on Twitter about the Australian fires and I was really concerned there wasn't a lot of media coverage and not a lot of people donating," she told BuzzFeed.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A social-media influencer and X-rated model giving out nude photographs as an incentive to get people to donate to fight the Australian bushfires says the plan has raised $700,000 in three days.
Kaylen Ward, 20, posted on her Twitter page The Naked Philanthropist on Saturday that those who donated at least $10 to the campaign to fight the fires would get a nude photograph in return.
"I'm sending nudes to every person who donates at least $10 to any one of these fundraisers for the wildfires in Australia," she said in a tweet.
"Every $10 you donate = one nude picture from me to your DM. You must send me confirmation that you donated."
Ward already makes money from selling her nude photos on the adult marketplace Only Fans.
She tweeted on Sunday that she'd reached $500,000 in donations, and she updated followers on Monday that she hit the $700,000 mark.
Insider has not been able to independently verify Ward's announcements but has reviewed social-media posts on Reddit and Twitter detailing evidence of the photographs and their donations.
"I was seeing all the posts on Twitter about the Australian fires and I was really concerned there wasn't a lot of media coverage and not a lot of people donating," she told BuzzFeed News.
Ward told BuzzFeed she had enlisted a team of four people to help her sort through donations and DMs to verify them.
In her initial post, Ward posted a list of links where people could make donations and said people should send a screenshot of their donation to receive a picture.
—THE NAKED PHILANTHROPIST (@lilearthangelk) January 6, 2020
The bushfires are the worst in the history of Australia, scorching over 9.9 million acres of land and destroying at least 1,400 homes so far.
As of Monday morning local time, 136 fires were burning across New South Wales, roughly half of which were contained.
Ward said her family fled the Carr wildfire in California in 2019. "I got to see firsthand how many people were affected," she said.
While Ward conducted her campaign on Twitter, she said her Instagram account was deactivated Sunday.
—THE NAKED PHILANTHROPIST (@lilearthangelk) January 5, 2020
- Read more:
- Red skies are blanketing southeast Australia as hundreds of fires ravage the country
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban donated $500,000 to Australia's fire services amid devastating bushfires
- I spent New Year's trapped by Australian bushfires that looked like a scene from a war zone
- Here are eight ways you can donate to help fight the fires
- The bushfires in Australia are so big they're generating their own weather — 'pyrocumulonimbus' thunderstorms that can start more fires