Universal's classic monster universe is ready to start expanding, and it looks like The Mummy will be its latest installment.TheWrap reports that Kingsman: The Secret Service star Sofia Boutella has just been cast to play the titular monster in the upcoming remake. Tom Cruise is currently in negotiations to star opposite her as a Navy SEAL who has history with her. Star Trek and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 writer Alex Kurtzman is currently attached to direct.
Boutella is clearly on the rise in Hollywood, since she just finished filming Star Trek Beyond, which is set to hit theaters next summer. Seeing her in a traditionally male role is a welcome change to the Mummy franchise. However, there's really no telling how good the film will be. Considering how underwhelming Dracula Untold turned out to be last year, the revived Mummy will have to raise the bar significantly to justify audiences meeting Frankenstein and the Wolfman in the years ahead.
More from theverge.com:
- Google Pixel C review: Too clever by half
- Apple’s new $99 iPhone battery case doesn’t measure up
- The agony and ecstasy of the modern, high-tech car
- Does The Hateful Eight's 70mm roadshow really impact the future of film?
- The teenager behind the drone gun now has a drone-mounted flamethrower
- Star Wars star John Boyega talks diversity and dueling Adam Driver
- Donald Trump thinks he can call Bill Gates to 'close up' the internet
- The US Navy’s largest destroyer ever heads out to sea
- Dell XPS 13 review: The best Windows laptop just got better
- Dropbox is shutting down its Mailbox and Carousel apps
- Joy is joyless, and easily David O. Russell's worst film
- Can Zoltan Istvan beat Hillary, Trump, and death itself?
- The Verge 2015 Holiday Gift Guide