A man who was participating in a drinking competition in South Africa has died after drinking an entire bottle of Jagermeister in under two minutes. According to Meaww, police in Limpopo province in South Africa said the contest required participants to drink a bottle of Jagermeister as fast as possible for a cash prize.
“One of them immediately collapsed thereafter and was taken to the local clinic, where he was certified dead,” Limpopo Police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said, according to Meaww.
The unidentified man is believed to be in his 20s.
A 23 years old man from Mashamba village in Venda collapsed and later died after consuming 1 bottle of jagermeister. pic.twitter.com/PFQwpLnhh9
— MokupiPogisho👁️ (@MokupiPogisho) July 11, 2022
The tragic incident happened at a liquor outlet in Mashamba village, Sowetan Live reports.
“People need to remember that alcohol is a toxin and can have life-threatening and immediate effects if consumed in a large amount at once. These challenges and fads show just how hard we have to work to warn people of the dangers of binge drinking,” Jackie Ballard, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, told HuffPost.
The “liter challenge,” the game where people drink a bottle of alcohol as fast as they can, has been taking place around the world.
But health experts continue to speak out against the challenge.
“Your body can only process one unit of alcohol an hour, and less in some people,” Elaine Hindal, chief executive at alcohol education charity Drinkaware, told HuffPost. “Drink a lot in a short space of time and the amount of alcohol in the blood can stop the body from working properly.”
According to Hindal, young people are also risking their careers and education when taking part in such challenges on the internet.
“Our research shows nearly half (47%) of 18-24 year olds admitted untagging drunk photos of themselves that they didn’t want others to see. However there is still a chance that these photos may be seen by universities and prospective employers,” Hindal said.