Saturday's first-in-the-South primary could be a pivotal moment for many of the candidates, especially Biden, who is counting on his projected landslide win here to reinvigorate his candidacy ahead of Super Tuesday.
Also on the ballot were Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, billionaire activist Tom Steyer and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg was not in the running as he decided to skip the first four nominating contests.
Highlights from the South Carolina primary
Download the NBC News app for full coverage and alerts on the latest news.
- Biden wins the South Carolina primary, while Sanders finishes second, NBC News projects.
- Billionaire Tom Steyer quits the Democratic primary race.
- 'You cannot win ‘em all': Sanders downplays loss in South Carolina.
- Buttigieg: Campaign pressing onto Super Tuesday despite South Carolina result.
- Warren campaign memo: 'We're in this race for the long haul.'