New splash pad coming to Carrollton park

CARROLLTON – Big Sqwerts Horse and Jimmy Jack Rabbit will provide some fun in the village next year as the community adds a splash pad in Fifth Street Park.

Those are a couple of the features, or water-spraying stations, that are to be part of the splash pad. Village officials are accepting donations to help pay for installation within the park in the 100 block of Fifth Street NE.

"The intention is for next summer to get that installed," village Administrator Mark Wells said. "Splash pads are kind of an alternative to swimming pools. Some of our local businesses have given in access of $100,000 (in total). And we have some local foundation grants."

More Carrollton news:Schools Superintendent David Quattrochi suspended, investigation pending

More Carrollton news:Carrollton schools launches capital projects, including health clinic, pavilion

The splash pad will cost $166,142. Water Odyssey of San Marcos, Texas, is the product manufacturer. The vendor is DWA Recreation, which is based in the Cincinnati area.

"For the most part, they will spray water out," said Neil Smith, a project manager for DWA Recreation. "A lot of cities are getting rid of pools and switching to these."

The idea to bring a splash pad to this village came from a former member of Carrollton Village Council, Christopher Modranski. For the past two years, Modranski has been a Carroll County commissioner.

"That was something he had on his mind, and he brought it up," Wells said. "It is a great idea for the community. Water will be provided by the village. It will not impact the village's water supply. This will be the first water recreation facility in Carrollton. The closest swimming pool is in the village of Minerva."

The Carroll County Board of Commissioners contributed $25,000 to the project.

"One of the things you hear about from local residents is there is a lack of things for young people to do," Modranski said. "I wanted to be able to bring something like that to the community. I think it is a little safer than a swimming pool."

This article originally appeared on The Repository: Carrollton officials will install a splash pad in Fifth Street Park