Stark Bites: Hot Wasabi to open second location; former Lindsey's cook to open restaurant

Hot Wasabi Hibachi Express is opening its second location in North Canton.
Hot Wasabi Hibachi Express is opening its second location in North Canton.

Hot Wasabi Hibachi Express opening second location in North Canton

Hot Wasabi Hibachi Express is opening its second location in North Canton in the spot that used to occupy Guys Pizza at 1104 N. Main St. in North Canton.

The Japanese carryout restaurant also operates at 1135 Whipple Ave. NW in Perry Township.

The new location doesn’t have an opening date planned, but staff is hoping to open before Easter, which is April 9. The staff is awaiting permits that are taking longer than expected.

Hot Wasabi’s menu features vegetable, chicken, steak, shrimp, scallop and twin lobster hibachi meals, which come with fried rice, vegetables and the selection of two sauces. Also on the menu are sides and appetizers, including noodles, rice, vegetables, chicken, steak, shrimp, scallops, lobster tail, spring rolls, egg rolls, crab rangoon, pork dumpling, salad and fried tofu.

Hot Wasabi review:High praise for carryout spot Hot Wasabi Hibachi Express in Perry Township

Kraus’ Pizza under new ownership, no longer in the family

Kraus’ Pizza is under new ownership and is no longer in the Kraus family.

Randy Thorne and James Abraham are the new owners of the pizza company, which has multiple locations in Stark, Tuscarawas and Wayne counties. Both have extensive experience in the restaurant business and have owned a successful Kraus’ Pizza franchise at 903 30th St. NE in Plain Township for about 10 years.

Bud and Melba Kraus opened the first Kraus’ Pizza in 1959 at 915 Amherst Road NE in Massillon. In 1968, Larry and Ginger Kraus took over the business and opened franchises throughout Stark County. Ginger Kraus and her son, Christian, have run the company since 1999.

Jarrod Kasunick adds a pie to the oven at Kraus' Pizza northeast side Massillon location.
Jarrod Kasunick adds a pie to the oven at Kraus' Pizza northeast side Massillon location.

“We are proud of the special pizza our family created and have great confidence in the new owners who we hand-picked,” Ginger Kraus said March 13 in a prepared statement. “We know that their forward thinking and experience will allow even more people to enjoy Kraus’ Pizza in the coming years.”

Kraus’ Pizza is distinctive, and the new owners plan to keep it that way.

“We don’t plan to make any immediate changes because so many people love Kraus’ Pizza the way it is,” Thorne said in a prepared statement.

“We recognize that Kraus’ Pizza is a distinctive and exceptional product, and we’re excited about growing the franchise so that future generations can make Kraus’ Pizza part of their lives.”

Kraus’ Pizza is known for its signature Topper, which is a double crusted pizza. Kraus’ Pizza has 10 locations throughout Stark and Tuscarawas counties, including in Perry Township, Jackson Township, Hartville, Navarre, Dalton and Strasburg.

Abraham said the company plans to expand once they find more franchisees.

New pizza place coming to Stark:Park Street Pizza opening Stark location; Blue Smoke opening at mall

Former Lindsey’s Restaurant worker to open Judy’s Family Restaurant in old Irish Exchange spot

Mark Bryant, who worked for years behind the counter of local staple Lindsey’s Restaurant, is venturing out to start his own restaurant, Judy’s Family Restaurant.

Bryant and his team are working to transform the old Irish Exchange location at 3824 Tuscarawas St. W in Canton into a bright place to enjoy breakfast.

Long before signing the lease, Bryant had a menu planned for the restaurant. After almost two decades working behind someone else’s grill, he’s ready to be the one in charge.

The restaurant is still in the early stages without an opening date yet. The team has created a GoFundMe to help with startup costs.

For frequent updates, follow Judy’s Family Restaurant on Facebook.

Stark County restaurant news:Biggby Coffee open in Plain Twp.; Vincent's Pastaria not reopening

This article originally appeared on The Repository: Hot Wasabi to open second spot; former Lindsey's cook to open Judy's