After more than 100 years at 530 E. Market St., The Stockton Record is moving from its longtime home.
But the company, founded by Irving Martin Sr. more than 130 years ago, is not going far and will settle in at another iconic Stockton location, the former Sperry Flour Mill warehouse at 445 W. Weber Ave.
The Record is expected to move into its new offices at what is now known as the Waterfront Warehouse by spring.
"It's time," Record Executive Editor Don Blount said. "The Market Street facility has been a good home for The Stockton Record for a number of years.
"But it no longer fits our needs and it's time for us to operate out of a place that does."
The Waterfront Warehouse was built in 1875 as the Sperry Flour Mill warehouse and is the oldest intact building on the Stockton Channel. In 1926, the mill's operations moved to Vallejo. It's a City of Stockton Historical Landmark and also is listed on the the National Register of Historic Places.
The building is home to more than a dozen local businesses including Nena's Mexican Cuisine and the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce.
It's also next door to Waterfront Towers — the building the city of Stockton purchased in 2017 to house the new City Hall.
The Waterfront Warehouse will be only the fourth home of The Record. The first Stockton Evening Record was published on April 8, 1895, in a basement on Parker's Alley.
The Record operated out of Parker's Alley, a short stretch of downtown Stockton between El Dorado and Hunter streets, near where the former In-Shape headquarters stands today, for about a year.
After a stint on California Street in a loft above a saloon, Record founder and Publisher Irving Martin Sr. went into debt to build a modern newspaper plant on Market Street in 1910. Martin, according to Record archives, chose the site because it was the highest ground in Stockton.
The facility underwent several expansions and updates, including the addition of a two-story building and reconstruction of the press facility in the early 1950s and a press and mail room facility in 2005.
The Market Street site was purchased by Woodland-based Tower Investments in 2021 for an undisclosed price. The complex was originally listed at $5.7 million.
Tower Investments has not disclosed any plans for the facility, but for-lease signs are posted on the property.
Contact Senior Content Strategist Genette Brookshire at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @record_genette. Support local news, subscribe to The Stockton Record at https://www.recordnet.com/subscribenow.
This article originally appeared on The Record: Steeped in history: Stockton Record moving to Waterfront Warehouse