Superintendent Ann Levett: I'm leaving Savannah-Chatham schools 'well prepared' for future

An Alfred E. Beach High School alumni, Ann Levett remembers when she stood on the stage 51 years ago and accepted her diploma.

The Savannah native never anticipated being back in the same system that led her into a career in education, culminating in her becoming the leader of the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS).

"I'm a product of Savannah and Chatham County public schools, and I have found it to be one of my life's honors to be the 24th superintendent of the district. When I walked across the stage at Alfred Beach High School, I had no idea, no clue that I would ever be the superintendent," she said.

"I did have a strong circle of support along the way, people who encouraged me and gave me the additional support that I needed to always do what I love doing, and that is making good things happen for children."

On Wednesday, Levett announced that she would retire as Superintendent of SCCPSS, effective June 30.

For subscribers: Schools 'well prepared' for the future? Don't ignore superintendent's less flattering legacy

Initial news:Savannah-Chatham schools Superintendent Ann Levett to retire at end of school year

Adam Van BrimmerSavannah schools superintendent spurns retirement, accepts new contract. Her legacy is TBD

Ann Levett:Savannah-Chatham Schools superintendent: 'We are ready to welcome our scholars!'

Levett began her career in 1976 as a speech pathologist for the Savannah-Chatham County school district, eventually becoming principal at Savannah High School. She left the district, serving in various educational roles including acting superintendent in Dayton, Ohio, and as a school board member for New Haven (Connecticut) Public Schools. In 2017, she assumed the role of superintendent of SCCPSS.

"I think that (the SCCPSS staff) certainly have felt the passion that I bring to the table, and they know that every day I come to work with our children as my primary focus. They understand that support is a verb."

Ann Levett, superintendent of Savannah Chatham County Public School System, talks about her time as superintendent during a press conference announcing her retirement on Wednesday January 18, 2023.
Ann Levett, superintendent of Savannah Chatham County Public School System, talks about her time as superintendent during a press conference announcing her retirement on Wednesday January 18, 2023.

Among the successes Levett said were the high marks of her tenure, she mentioned the graduation rates going from below state average to exceeding the average, the workforce development paths for students, the addition of multiple STEAM and STEM programs and how the district embraced technology during the pandemic.

"My work has been to show children that you should never be locked in. If you limit yourself by not taking advantage of all the services that we have available for you, you won't have all the opportunities that I've never had," she said.

"I didn't have those opportunities as a as a student in the district, but I want every child, every one of the 36,600 plus students, to know that the world is theirs."

A move years in the making

Levett said this wasn't necessarily a spur of the moment decision. Rather, it was one she has considered for multiple years leading up to Wednesday's announcement, including in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic ravaged SCCPSS and school systems across the world.

"When I came to the district (in 2017), I was one year short of being eligible to retire," she said. "I have stayed far beyond that because as a member of this community, I thought it my responsibility to not create additional disruptions to the district by leaving in the middle of a pandemic."

More:Savannah-Chatham school board approves two-year extension to superintendent's contract

The superintendent received a two-year contract extension last August, following a pattern of two-year contracts that the lead administrator has had since taking the role in 2017. The new contract put her in the position until June 30, 2024, the end of the SCCPSS fiscal year.

The contract extension predated the addition of new board president Roger Moss, who assumed the role last week at the first board meeting of the year. On Wednesday, Moss said Levett has had "an amazing career" and has "done so many great things for the school system."

Roger Moss stands to clap during his first meeting as Savannah Chatham County Public Schools board president.
Roger Moss stands to clap during his first meeting as Savannah Chatham County Public Schools board president.

Search process set to begin soon

In her press conference, Levett said the next steps toward finding her successor will be for the Savannah-Chatham school board to meet and map out the parameters for the search, including considering if they want to hire a firm to handle a wider, even national, search for the 25th superintendent.

While the Beach High School graduate is from Savannah, Levett said she didn't necessarily feel the next superintendent had to be a local. "I think this board, given what I know about them, will be looking for the best candidate that can continue on the track that we're moving in terms of success, and also bringing new and fresh ideas to how we accomplish our goals."

Ann Levett, superintendent of Savannah Chatham County Public School System, talks about her time as superintendent during a press conference announcing her retirement on Wednesday January 18, 2023.
Ann Levett, superintendent of Savannah Chatham County Public School System, talks about her time as superintendent during a press conference announcing her retirement on Wednesday January 18, 2023.

On the next steps, Moss said the school board plans to meet soon to decide on next steps for the search process.

"I know where my personal landing is, but it's a board decision at the end of the day and we want to do our best."

This article originally appeared on Savannah Morning News: Savannah Superintendent Ann Levett retiring after school year