Superintendent: Dover schools release results of strategic plan

We are excited to share with you the outcomes of our strategic planning process.

Over the past several months, we have worked to gain a comprehensive understanding of our district's strengths and weaknesses, as well as challenges and opportunities.

Through this five-month process, we have learned valuable insights into the desires and expectations of our community and are increasing trust and collaboration among all stakeholders.

Karie McCrate
Karie McCrate

More Dover school news:Karie McCrate named new superintendent of Dover City Schools

More Dover school news:School board decides to demolish former administration building

We are proud of the noted strengths of our district, including our great students and families, high-quality staff with a low attrition rate, and a variety of diverse opportunities for students. Additionally, our district has a hometown feel, rich with tradition, and enjoys a high level of community support.

Our academic, athletic and performing arts options are outstanding, and we have access to technology resources for both students and staff. Participants noted the value of our stable and strong board of education that supports our initiatives.

However, we also identified several areas that challenge our district and created goals and objectives to address them. We will seek to increase family and community involvement and ensure staff feels supported in and out of the classroom.

It was identified that we need to evaluate our level of student service supports, including more college and career planning and counseling services, increase our community partnerships and engagement in schools, and research more innovative use of both physical space and time within each school.

These are all areas that we will work to build upon current successes, yet improve and ensure we are meeting our longtime vision of “Addressing Tomorrow’s Challenges Today.”

We are excited about the enhanced quality of experience for the students served by Dover City Schools, and we commit to working together to make our district the best it can be.

You can find our full strategic plan on our district website (https://www.dovertornadoes.com/), and we will be sharing it with community organizations over the next several months, hoping for feedback and engagement. If you have a group, formally or informally, that you would like to meet with me or any of our team, please contact the district office anytime to schedule.

We look forward to working with all of our stakeholders to implement this strategic plan and make progress toward our shared goals.

Karie McCrate is the superintendent of Dover City Schools.

This article originally appeared on The Times-Reporter: Superintendent: Dover schools release results of strategic plan