British police shot a man dead after a number of people were stabbed at London Bridge on Friday (November 29), close to the site of a militant attack in 2017.
Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed this was a terrorist incident.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER FOR SPECIAL OPERATIONS, NEIL BASU, SAYING:
"A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from the City of London police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene. A number of other people received injuries during this incident, as soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will."
Basu said the suspect was wearing what police believe to be a hoax explosive device. He said no motive had yet been established.
Images from the site near the center of the capital show police cars and buses on the bridge, and a truck straddling several lanes.
A video posted on Twitter, which Reuters couldn't immediately verify, showed about half a dozen men wrestling with someone on the ground, after which one backed away carrying a knife.
Police then dragged another person away and appeared to shoot the man on the ground.
London Bridge was the scene of an attack in June 2017.
Three militants drove a van into pedestrians and then attacked people in the surrounding area, killing eight people.
Britain lowered its threat level to 'substantial' from 'severe' earlier this month.