By Yusri Mohamed and Ahmed Hassan ISMAILIA, Egypt/CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's army said on Wednesday more than 100 militants and 17 soldiers were killed after simultaneous assaults on military checkpoints in North Sinai, in the deadliest fighting in years in the restive province. After a day of fighting, which involved F-16 jets and Apache helicopters, the army said it would not stop its operations until it had cleared the area of all "terrorist concentrations". By late Wednesday, an army spokesman said the situation in North Sinai was "100 percent under control". Security sources and witnesses later said aerial bombardments on militant targets had resumed. Islamic State's Egyptian affiliate, Sinai Province, had claimed responsibility, saying it attacked more than 15 security sites and carried out three suicide bombings. The militants' assault, a significant escalation in violence in the peninsula that lies between Israel, the Gaza Strip and the Suez Canal, was the second high-profile attack in Egypt this week. On Monday, a bomb killed the prosecutor-general in Cairo. It raised questions about the government's ability to contain an insurgency that has already killed hundreds of police and soldiers. The insurgents want to topple the Cairo government and have stepped up their campaign since 2013, when then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi removed President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood after mass protests against his rule. Sisi, who regards the Brotherhood as a threat to national security, has since overseen a harsh crackdown on Islamists. An army statement said the fighting had been concentrated in the towns of Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah and that the militants used car bombs and various weapons. Of the 17 soldiers killed, four were officers, and 13 more soldiers were wounded, the statement said. Some security sources put the death toll for army and police much higher. The army spokesman told state television that a number of militants had been arrested. He also posted pictures on his official Facebook page which he said showed the bodies of scores of militants. They were dressed in fatigues. Security sources said the militants had planned to lay siege to the town of Sheikh Zuweid. "But we have dealt with them and broke the siege," one of the sources said. BOOBY TRAPS AT SHEIKH ZUWEID Earlier, security sources said militants had surrounded a police station in Sheikh Zuweid and planted bombs around it. The militants also planted bombs along a road between Sheikh Zuweid and al-Zuhour army camp and seized two armored vehicles, weapons and ammunition, the sources said. Suleiman al-Sayed, a 49-year-old Sheikh Zuweid resident told Reuters earlier on Wednesday that he was not allowed to leave his home while clashes were ongoing. He said he had glimpsed "five Land Cruisers with masked gunmen waving black flags." Witnesses and security sources also heard two explosions in the nearby town of Rafah, which borders Gaza. The sources said all roads leading to Rafah and Sheikh Zuweid were shut down. The interior ministry in the Gaza Strip, run by the Islamist Hamas group, reinforced its forces along the border with Egypt. "It is a sharp reminder that despite the intensive counter-terrorism military campaign in the Sinai over the past six months, IS ranks are not decreasing - if anything they are increasing in numbers as well as sophistication, training and daring," Aimen Dean, a former al Qaeda insider who now runs a Gulf-based security consultancy, said in a note. STATE OF EMERGENCY Islamic State had urged its followers to escalate attacks during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan which started in mid-June, though it did not specify Egypt as a target. In April, the army extended by three months a state of emergency imposed in parts of Sinai. Besides bombardments in the region, the army has destroyed tunnels into the Palestinian-ruled Gaza Strip and created a security buffer zone in northern Sinai. It is also digging a trench along the border with Gaza to deter smuggling. Under the terms of Egypt's 1979 peace accord with Israel, the Sinai is largely demilitarized. But Israel has regularly agreed to Egypt bringing in reinforcements to tackle the Sinai insurgency, and one Israeli official signaled there could be further such deployments following Wednesday's attacks. "This incident is a game-changer," an official told Reuters on condition of anonymity. Sisi's government does not distinguish between the now-outlawed Brotherhood, which says it is committed to peaceful activism, and other militants. The courts have sentenced hundreds of alleged Brotherhood supporters to death in recent months. Mursi himself, and other senior Brotherhood figures, also face the death penalty. The cabinet, which met in the Police Academy for security reasons on Wednesday, approved a draft anti-terrorism law, which it said would "achieve quick and just deterrence". "Any terrorist or criminal attacks that aim to sow chaos ... will be confronted," the cabinet said, citing the interior minister. In Cairo, the interior ministry said security forces killed nine leading members of the Muslim Brotherhood in an apartment in a western suburb after the men opened fire on them. The interior ministry said the group were holding a meeting to plot attacks. It said some of those killed had been convicted in court cases. The Brotherhood denied the group was armed and said in a statement the killing was a turning point that could lead to repercussions by the "oppressed". "The assassination ... will drive the situation down an extremely dangerous slope and toward a total explosion." (Additional reporting by Mahmoud Mourad, Ahmed Tolba and Ali Abelaty in Cairo, Dan Williams in Jerusalem and Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza; Writing by Yara Bayoumy; Editing by Ruth Pitchford and Tom Brown)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Yahoo News
The most experienced Washington legislator to sit in the Oval Office in decades, Biden has tried to be solicitous to the warring congressional factions that have his presidency in their hands. But as he and his advisers point out, infinite time is not a luxury they enjoy.
The White House press secretary asked the Fox News reporter a question he couldn't answer.
(Reuters) -Partial human remains were found on Wednesday in a Florida wilderness area where authorities were searching for Brian Laundrie, the fiance of Gabby Petito, a young woman who vanished on a road trip with Laundrie, the FBI said on Wednesday. The Sarasota County Medical Examiner's Office was called on Wednesday morning to the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park where the search for Laundrie was under way, a spokesperson for the office said earlier.
- In The Know by Yahoo
A high school science teacher asked her students to make her laugh for extra credit on a recent assignment, and her class certainly delivered. The post Teacher in hysterics over students’ answers to extra credit question: ‘Very funny group of kids’ appeared first on In The Know.
'Too Hot to Handle' star Harry Jowsey says he knew he got busted receiving oral sex as it was happening because he saw 'like 65 cameras' swerve on him to film it
Jowsey said there were "like 65 cameras" in his room on the show, including some right above his bed, in order to catch contestants in the act.
- NBC Sports Boston
Umpires are going to get calls wrong, but 21 of them? In an ALCS game? The Red Sox' issues with balls and strikes last night were legitimate, and this graphic proves it.
- Good Housekeeping
'Jeopardy!' champion Matt Amodio won a total of 38 games and lost to current champion Jonathan Fisher. The computer science Ph.D. student shared a personal update about life after being on the trivia show.
The articles were discovered during a search of Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park in North Port, Florida. Laundrie is the only person of interest in Gabby Petito's death.
- Washington Examiner
Condoleezza Rice won't be interrupted.
Being the middle child, even in the royal family, might seem like a drag from time to time. But it seems like Princess Charlotte is doing pretty well for herself. The 6-year-old daughter of Prince William and Kate Middleton has already reached quite a few milestones this year, and she’s reportedly poised to be named […]
Angelina Jolie plays Thena — a warrior with immense strength, speed and stamina — in Eternals
- Good Housekeeping
'Live! With Kelly and Ryan' fans could not get over Kelly Ripa's amazing on-air dress, which the show posted about on Instagram.
- Women's Health
Fiona Apple Quit Cocaine After An 'Excruciating' Night With Quentin Tarantino And Paul Thomas Anderson
Fiona Apple says she quit doing cocaine after an excruciating night with Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson.
- USA TODAY
A British wildlife hospital received a call from a local stonemasonry firm about a long, spotted snake they found in a shipping container from India.
- Footwear News
Serena Williams Enjoys Date Night in Striped Mini Dress & Versatile Suede Thigh-High Boots With Alexis Ohanian
The tennis pro and her husband dressed up for a night out.
- In The Know by Yahoo
A fast-food worker is going viral after revealing the alleged least ordered item at McDonald's. The post McDonald’s employee reveals the chain’s ‘least-ordered’ menu item appeared first on In The Know.
Brian Laundrie's parents had 'advised' law enforcement to look in the location where apparent human remains were found, their lawyer says
Family attorney Steven Bertolino said Laundrie's parents were at the Florida Reserve Wednesday when the remains and some of his possesions were found.
- Rolling Stone
The former president is jealous of how the media is covering the late Republican's death
The NBA legend praised the Brooklyn Nets for benching Irving and slammed comparisons with boxing legend Muhammad Ali.
- ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
The Ravens were awarded tackle Brandon Knight on a waiver claim on Monday, but he won’t be joining the team this week. The team announced on Wednesday that Knight has refused to report to the team. Head coach John Harbaugh said at a Wednesday press conference that Knight did not report for personal reasons. They [more]