Tamaqua firefighters respond to two calls in 8 hours Tuesday morning

Aug. 22—TAMAQUA — Tuesday morning was busy for borough firefighters, who responded to a house fire before daybreak and a commercial fire later in the morning.

Firefighters were called to 206 Biddle St. around 2:20 a.m. and quickly managed to extinguish the blaze.

"We narrowed it down to electrical — an air conditioner plugged into an extension cord," said Tamaqua Fire Chief James Connely.

He said flames were contained to one room, but damage was estimated at $75,000.

The chief said the residents were not home at the time; however, three people and two dogs living at the attached home at 208 Biddle St. were temporarily displaced but able to return later Tuesday.

No injuries were reported.

Around 10:30 a.m., firefighters were called to a fire at Tom's Auto & Marine at 250 S. Greenwood St.

That fire, which started along an outside wall and was blamed on careless smoking, was quickly extinguished, causing about $2,500 in damage, according to Connely.

Firefighters also had to cope with major road construction on routes 209 and 309.

"It hampered some of them getting to their stations," the chief said. "Getting to the fire, there were no problems."

Contact the writer: fandruscavage@republicanherald.com; 570-628-6013