Teenager's hand 'completely severed' in machete attack

Telegraph reporters
·1 min read
Knives surrendered to West Midlands Police - Jacob King /PA
Knives surrendered to West Midlands Police - Jacob King /PA

A teenager's hand has been "completely severed" in an attack with a machete.

The 18-year-old is receiving treatment in hospital after the attack in Stanks Parade, Swarcliffe, Leeds, at 9.31pm on Tuesday, West Yorkshire Police said.

A spokesman said his condition is not life-threatening.

He added: "Police are appealing for information after a man was attacked with a machete and seriously injured in an incident in Leeds.

"At 9.31pm last night, police were called to Stanks Parade, Swarcliffe, where an 18-year-old man had been found with his hand completely severed.

"He was taken to hospital by ambulance for emergency treatment."

Detective Inspector Guy Shackleton, of Leeds District CID, said: "We are treating this incident very seriously and are carrying out a detailed and comprehensive investigation to establish the full circumstances and identify those responsible.

"We recognise that an incident such as this will cause understandable concern in the community and we are liaising closely with our colleagues on the local neighbourhood policing team who are updating their community representatives and maintaining a visible presence in the area to reassure people."

Police said a large scene will remain in place around Stanks Parade while forensic examination and specialist searches take place.

Anyone who saw any of the incident or who has any information that could help the investigation is asked to contact police, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.