Texas family charged with murder after chasing down a mistakenly identified man

·2 min read

In an incident that deputies call a “tragic case of mistaken identity,” four family members have been charged with murder after the family allegedly chased down and shot 29-year-old Eddie Clark near his home in a Houston suburb.

In a press release on Monday, the Harris County Sheriff’s Office announced that Joe Argueta, 19, his mother and father, Florinda Argueta, 39, and Luis Argueta, 45, and his uncle Margarito Alcantar, 29, have been charged with murder in the shooting in Katy, Texas.

The mother and son duo have already been taken into police custody while the father and uncle remain at large with warrants having been already issued for their arrests.

According to deputies, the dark gray Dodge Charger Clark was driving while being chased down had “multiple bullet strikes to the passenger side” and was recovered near his home. The shooting caused him to lose control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

After the crash, Clark was able to exit the car but he collapsed soon after. He was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he later died of his injuries.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said in a statement on Facebook that the family had been seeking to confront another person that they believed to have vandalized their home and cars on numerous occasions. The family believed that the person they were looking for was a friend of Joe’s ex-girlfriend who happened to drive a black Dodge Charger.

“The victim, Eddie Clark, lived in the Westminster Village Subdivision, and was on his way home when he was confronted by the Arguetas,” the sheriff’s office said. “Eddie Clark was driving a dark gray Dodge Challenger, not a black Dodge Charger. Eddie Clark was not known by the Arguetas and investigators did not receive any information that Eddie Clark was involved in the ongoing dispute.”

In the criminal complaint, Joe Argueta told authorities that his mother concocted the plan to catch the person they were looking for by staying up all night so that they could “deal with them.”

Using two vehicles, the family managed to box Clark’s car. Surveillance footage from a neighbor’s home shows that Clark attempted to escape on foot but was chased down by Margarito Alcantar who appeared to be armed with a baseball bat, and another suspect who was holding a gun.

The youngest of the family told deputies that he too had a gun and fired it at the fleeing Clark.

According to authorities, Clark was shot at least once in his torso. He also incurred injuries from the crash but police said that they “were not causative” to his death.