RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
VIDEO SHOWS: UPDATES FROM VENDEE GLOBE LEADER ALEX THOMSON AND OTHER SKIPPERS
SHOWS: AT SEA (NOVEMBER 18, 2020) (ASO - SEE RESTRICTIONS BEFORE USE)
1. VARIOUS OF VIEWS FROM MOUNTED CAMERAS ON HUGO BOSS SKIPPER AND CURRENT VENDEE GLOBE LEADER, ALEX THOMSON'S, YACHT
2. (SOUNDBITE) (French - official translation) FRENCH SKIPPER, YANNICK BESTAVEN, OF THE MAITRE CoQ IV, SAYING:
"[OFF CAMERA: VIEWS FROM MOUNTED CAMERAS] Today we're running at full speed. [ON CAMERA] It's amazing to be crossing the doldrums at 18 to 23 knots, with peak speeds of 26 knots."
3. (SOUNDBITE) (French - official translation) FRENCH SKIPPER, THOMAS RUYANT, OF THE LINKEDOUT, SAYING:
"[OFF CAMERA: COMPUTER MONITOR / VIEW OUT STERN] Outside the wind's as strong as ever. [ON CAMERA] I'll turn down the hi-fi a bit."
4. (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH SKIPPER, ALEXIA BARRIER, OF THE TSE - 4MYPLANET, SAYING:
"Hello friends! I hope you've slept well. I've got the gennaker up at last. Woohoo! Quite a manoeuvre - I lowered the spinnaker in the dark overnight. Then I hoisted the gennaker. I think I deserve a bit of breakfast."
5. (SOUNDBITE) (French - official translation) ITALIAN SKIPPER, GIANCARLO PEDOTE, OF THE PRYSMIAN GROUP, SAYING:
"[OFF CAMERA: WAVES CRASHING ON STERN] I'm entering the doldrums. [ON CAMERA] South."
6. (SOUNDBITE) (French) BRITISH SKIPPER, SAM DAVIES, OF THE INITIATIVES-COEUR, SAYING:
"We're going pretty fast."
7. VARIOUS OF CUTS BETWEEN FRENCH SKIPPER, KEVIN ESCOFFIER, OF THE PRB, SHAVING AND WAVES OUT HIS STERN
8. (SOUNDBITE) (French - official translation) FRENCH SKIPPER, KEVIN ESCOFFIER, OF THE PRB, SAYING:
"I've shaved myself and it feels good."
9. (SOUNDBITE) (French - official translation) FRENCH SKIPPER, LOUIS BURTON, OF THE BUREAU VALLEE 2, SAYING:
"[OFF CAMERA: WAVES CRASHING OUT STERN] The doldrums are really horrible. I hate that. That's when the boat breaks. [ON CAMERA] Wow! Not the doldrums you'd expect. Ciao!"
10. FRENCH SKIPPER, ROMAIN ATTANASIO, OF THE PURE - BEST WESTERN, SHAVING
11. (SOUNDBITE) (English) GERMAN SKIPPER, BORIS HERRMANN, OF THE SEAEXPLORER - YACHT CLUB DE MONACO, SAYING:
"I can't hear you. It's so loud. It's getting crazy."
STORY: Vendee Globe leader Alex Thomson became the first to cross the equator and into the South Atlantic on Wednesday (November 18) as he continues to lead the pack in their race around the globe.
Thomson reached the equator 9 days 23 hours and 59 minutes since setting sail from Les Sables d'Olonne, France last week.
Thomson led the pack through the doldrums, which have been kind to most sailors this year, and was aimed towards Brazil's eastern coast.
By Wednesday afternoon, race organizers estimated Thomson was about 79 miles ahead of Thomas Ruyant of LinkedOut in second place.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)