Thousands in Brooklyn still in dark as New York City deals with another power outage

Ryan W. Miller
Con Edison said Monday morning that about half of the 33,000 customers in Brooklyn had power restored after a blackout Sunday.

Thousands were without power in parts of Brooklyn on Monday morning as New York dealt with another blackout and intense summer weather.

Con Edison said that about half of the 33,000 customers in Brooklyn saw power restored Monday morning. Scattered outages kept more than 50,000 customers in the dark throughout parts of the city and Westchester County late Sunday.

Just after 5 a.m., the electric company said more than 30,000 customers had seen their power restored and that the remaining 21,500 would have it back by Monday afternoon.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo slammed the electric company Sunday and said he was deploying state police, generators and light towers to assist.

"We have been through this situation with Con Ed time and again, and they should have been better prepared – period," Cuomo said in a statement. "This was not a natural disaster; there is no excuse for what has happened in Brooklyn."

'They should have been better prepared': With over 40K blacked out, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo rips Con Edison

Cuomo, who ordered an investigation into the blackout in Manhattan earlier in July, said he would widen the probe to include the Brooklyn outage. 

Equipment failure caused a five-hour blackout in Manhattan on July 13 that affected 40 blocks from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, Con Edison has said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio also blasted Con Edison on Monday and called for an investigation into the blackout. 

"This should not have happened," de Blasio told reporters, "and we need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"Con Ed is very haughty about this. They don't give real answers, and they don't feel they have to."

Amid intense heat, the electric company took the more than 30,000 customers in Brooklyn off power Sunday night for repairs to prevent a larger blackout, de Blasio said.

Con Edison defended the decision in a statement Monday.

"The actions we took were necessary to prevent longer outages to the impacted customers that would have occurred as a result of additional equipment damage," the company said, adding that it was "completely focused" on restoring power to customers. 

NYC blackout impact: The New York City blackout was actually bad for the environment

Emergency generators and air-conditioned buses were sent to adult care facilities as temperatures were above 90 degrees on Sunday, de Blasio said.

The city cooled Monday, though, as temperatures were forecast to peak at 85 degrees. But thunderstorms were forecast.

Contributing: Kristin Lam, USA TODAY, and the Associated Press. Follow USA TODAY's Ryan Miller on Twitter: @RyanW_Miller

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: New York City power outage: Con Edison restoring power to Brooklyn