On this date in 1963, President John F. Kennedy is assassinated and Texas Gov. John Connally is seriously wounded during a motorcade in Dallas. Suspect Lee Harvey Oswald is arrested. Lyndon B. Johnson becomes America's 36th president. (Nov. 22)
JOHN F. KENNEDY: I appreciate your being here this morning. Mrs. Kennedy is organizing herself. It takes longer.
But, of course, she looks better than we do when she does it.
But we appreciate your welcome. This city's been a great Western city.
- We understand there has been a shooting. The presidential car coming up now, we know its the presidential car. We can see Mrs. Kennedy pink suit. There's a Secret Service man spread eagle over the top of the car. We understand Governor and Mrs. Connally are in the car with President and Mrs. Kennedy. We can't see who has been hit if anybody's been it. But apparently something is wrong here. Something is terribly wrong. I am behind the motorcade now. And as you probably notice, they're going to Parkland Hospital.
- Governor Connally was shot in the upper left chest. And the first unconfirmed reports say the president was hit in the head.
- There's only one word to describe the picture here, and that's grief, and much of it. It's official, as of just a few moments ago, the President of the United States is dead.
- Here at the Texas School Book Depository were the area being completely roped off by Dallas police; the canine units here at the scene.
- They have little doubt that 24-year-old Lee Oswald of Dallas is the man who shot and killed Dallas police officer JD Tippit shortly after President Kennedy was shot to death this afternoon.
LEE OSWALD: These people have given me a hearing without legal representation or anything.
- Did you shoot the president?
LEE OSWALD: I didn't shoot anybody. No, sir.
LYNDON JOHNSON: This is a sad time for all people. We have suffered a loss that cannot be weighed. For me, it is a deep personal tragedy. I know that the world shares the sorrow that Mrs. Kennedy and her family bear. I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help and God's.