The Top-Tested Pillows for Side Sleepers, According to Experts
Finding the right pillow can be downright exhausting. The Good Housekeeping Institute Textiles Lab takes the guesswork out of finding the perfect pillow by putting popular styles to the test, including down, down alternative, memory foam, hybrid, latex, and cooling pillows.
Over 350 testers nationwide tried out pillows that matched their preferences (sleeping position and desired fill) and reported on the pillow's comfort, support, and much more. In Lab, we wash-tested each pillow multiple times to make sure it was durable and can withstand proper care without warping or shrinking. We also use weights at a similar size and weight of an average head on each pillow to ensure each one can keep its shape after repeated use. From tester feedback and lab evaluations, we had 3,218 data points to analyze! The featured styles are pillows specified for side sleepers and had excellent performance in our evaluations:
- Best Overall Pillow for Side Sleepers: Coop Home Goods Original Pillow
- Best Value Pillow for Side Sleepers: Cushion Lab Extra Support Adjustable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Best Down Pillow for Side Sleepers: Cuddledown 800 Fill Power European White Goose Down Pillow
- Best Down Alternative Pillow for Side Sleepers: Tuft & Needle Down Alternative Pillow Set
- Best Organic Pillow for Side Sleepers: Naturepedic Organic Solid Latex Pillow
- Best Foam Pillow for Side Sleepers: Tempur-Pedic Breeze Pro+ Advanced Cooling Pillow
- Best Hybrid Pillow for Side Sleepers: Layla Kapok Pillow
- Best Cooling Pillow for Side Sleepers: Purple Harmony Pillow
- Best Adjustable Pillow for Side Sleepers: Bedgear Balance Performance Pillow
How to find the best side sleeper pillows
Side sleepers should choose a thick, firm pillow compared to stomach sleepers who need a thinner one. The best pillow will keep your head and neck aligned when lying down. Any fill from down to foam can work for side sleepers as long as the pillow is thick enough to support your neck.
- Don't forget to check the care instructions. In our evaluations, some pillows could not be washed at all, while even more pillows only have a machine washable cover. If you are sensitive to allergens, look for an entirely machine washable pillow, and keep in mind that memory foam is usually not machine washable.
- Determine your sleeping style: If you are a restless sleeper, look for plusher options that can easily change shape. If you stay put on your side all night, a solid memory foam pillow can support your head in one position to help keep you asleep.
Using data from in-Lab evaluations and tester feedback, here are the best pillows for side sleepers:
We tested over 70 pillows for your best sleep ever.