Top U.S. prosecutors urge FB to scrap Instagram for kids

Attorneys general from 44 states and territories urged Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Monday to ditch plans to launch a version of Instagram for children under 13.

In a letter - signed by the attorneys general of New York, Texas, California, Massachusetts and others - they said: "Use of social media can be detrimental to the health and well-being of children, who are not equipped to navigate the challenges of having a social media account."

In the letter the attorneys general said Facebook has "historically failed to protect the welfare of children on its platforms."

The officials cited 2019 media reports that showed Facebook’s Messenger Kids app, intended for kids between ages six and 12, contained a design flaw that allowed them to bypass restrictions and join group chats with strangers that were not previously approved by their parents.

In response to the letter, a Facebook spokesman said the company has just started exploring a version of the photo-sharing app for kids.

And that with any Instagram experience it would prioritize the children's safety and privacy and commit to not showing ads.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting