Kimberly Davis reports.
- But first tonight, a deadly officer involved shooting. That officer is in the hospital. Eyewitness News just got an update from police. We're live in Logan.
- Good evening, everyone. I'm Ukee Washington.
- And I'm Jessica Kartalija. And we start with that officer involved shooting. It happened on West Somerville Avenue, near North 15th Street. That's about a block from Broad Street. Kimberly Davis is live in Logan where police just gave an update on what happened. Good evening, Kimberly.
- Jessica and Ukee, good evening. We just received our second update from Philadelphia Police. This time, it is coming from the top cop, police commissioner, Danielle Outlaw. She tells us that this all started as a traffic stop. Police officers were able to successfully pull that vehicle over. There were three people inside that car. Officers ran all three of their driver's licenses. Two of those licenses came up hot. They had warrants out for their arrest. According to police, that's when they called in backup. When officers approached the vehicle for a second time, that's when police tell us one of the people inside that vehicle got out and started firing at police officers. That 24-year-old man died as a result of his injuries. Another officer was injured during that shooting and he is in stable condition at this hour.
- I just seen a lot of cops running and driving down the street coming from different directions.
- It was a chaotic scene on the 1500 block of West Somerville Avenue in the Logan neighborhood of Philadelphia. According to police those squad cars were responding to an officer involved shooting that started as a traffic stop around 6:45 Wednesday night.
- The first two officers approached the vehicle in the passenger side rear of the vehicle. They saw an individual male who was leaning back and he quickly produced a gun and fired at least one round at the officers from inside the vehicle.
- Police tell us that at least five officers were on scene for that traffic stop. When the officers backed up, that's when police say the shooter got out of the car and fired at least one more round.
- At that point, five officers that were outside the vehicle discharged at the male multiple times. He was struck multiple times in the torso.
- The 24-year-old man who allegedly fired at police was rushed to Einstein Medical Center by officers where he was pronounced dead. Nearby residents say they heard the bullets ring out.
- I heard gunfire. Like, four on one side, then three, then maybe four more. When, by the time I got to the door, a ATV was going that way. Police cars was going that way.
- One officer was shot into left foot during the ordeal. He is expected to be OK. But the gun violence continues to rage on in the city of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection.
- This just speaks again to the level of gun violence that just continues to plague our city.
- Police tell us they were able to recover a gun from the scene, but they have yet to release the identity of the 24-year-old man who was shot and killed here in the Logan section of Philadelphia. That's the very latest. Live in Logan, I'm Kimberly Davis. CBS 3 Eyewitness News.
- Kimberly, thank you.