Former President Donald Trump has withdrawn another lawsuit against state Attorney General Letitia James, this one involving an appeal over her investigation into his personal trust.
Lawyers for Trump and James said Tuesday they’d reached an agreement to dismiss the appeal with prejudice, meaning it could not be revived in the future.
The former president had appealed a federal judge’s ruling last May that allowed the AG’s investigation into the Trump Organization to proceed. The judge dismissed Trump’s argument that James, a Democrat, was targeting him politically and investigating him in bad faith.
The former commander-in-chief and his family have denied any wrongdoing.
Although the one-page filing in a federal district court gave no reason for why Trump dropped the lawsuit, James said she considered the withdrawal a victory.
“I am pleased that Donald Trump has withdrawn both of his pending actions against my office,” she said in a statement. “As we have shown all along, we have a legitimate legal case against him and his organization, and we cannot be bullied or dissuaded from pursuing it.”
Last week, Trump withdrew a lawsuit he filed in November seeking to stop the attorney general’s office from obtaining documents and records from the personal trust he set up to hold his business interests after he became president.
In that suit, filed in Florida, lawyers for Trump alleged that James had “repeatedly abused her position as Attorney General for the State of New York to pursue a vendetta against President Trump.”
New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron has set an October trial date for James’ civil case against Trump.