- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Former President Donald Trump won’t be getting a sequel in the Screen Actors Guild.
SAG-AFTRA announced Sunday that Trump will not be eligible for readmission after he resigned from the guild last week.
“Preventing Donald Trump from ever rejoining SAG-AFTRA is more than a symbolic step,” SAG-AFTRA President Gabrielle Carteris said in a statement Sunday. “It is a resounding statement that threatening or inciting harm against fellow members will not be tolerated. An attack against one is an attack against all.”
Trump’s resignation came before a disciplinary hearing could take place regarding his role in the Jan. 6 incident that saw some of his supporters storm the Capitol.
The decision to “preemptively” deny any applications from Trump seeking to rejoin the actors guild was approved Saturday by SAG-AFTRA’s national board, the organization announced Sunday.
Trump had been in the guild for more than three decades before he resigned last week, writing in a letter to SAG-AFTRA, “You have done nothing for me.”
“I write to you today regarding the so-called Disciplinary Committee hearing aimed at revoking my union membership. Who cares!” wrote Trump, a longtime host of “The Apprentice” who also appeared in the 1992 movie “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York,” among other films and TV shows.
SAG-AFTRA then replied, “Thank you.”
Trump’s presidency ended last month after one term following his defeat in the 2020 election to President Biden.
Before Trump’s resignation from SAG-AFTRA, the guild described “expulsion from membership” as the most severe penalty that it could institute.
“The charges specifically cite Trump’s role in inciting the attack on the U.S. Capitol on January 6, and in sustaining a reckless campaign of misinformation aimed at discrediting and ultimately threatening the safety of journalists, many of whom are SAG-AFTRA members,” SAG-AFTRA said last month in a statement.