Trump Supports Covington Student’s $250 Million Lawsuit Against Washington Post

Sean Burch
President Trump continued to sing Kim Jong-un’s praises in a new interview with Sean Hannity, calling the North Korean politician a “real leader,” among other compliments.“He’s a character and he’s a real personality and he’s very smart. He’s sharp as you can be,” Trump told Hannity in a sit down interview on Thursday night. “He’s a real leader.”Trump says Kim Jong-Un "is a character" and "mercurial" but he "is a real leader" pic.twitter.com/ndDEkDFIOb— Salvador Hernandez (@SalHernandez) March 1, 2019Also Read: Jim Carrey Goes Nuclear on Trump Over North Korea in Latest Political ArtworkThe president immediately added Kim was “pretty mercurial” —  but that he didn’t “say that necessarily in a bad way.”Trump’s comments follow his trip to Vietnam for a second in-person meeting with Kim. Talks of nuclear disarmament, according to The New York Times on Thursday, fizzled out over a disagreement on lifting stiff sanctions on North Korea.“It was about the sanctions,” Trump said. “Basically they wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, but we couldn’t do that.”Also Read: Welcome to the New WrapPRO - We Love Our Members!On Thursday, Trump said he didn’t believe Kim knew about the treatment of American student Otto Warmbier, who was sentenced to 15 years hard labor in early 2016 on charges he stole a North Korean propaganda poster. Warmbier was returned to the U.S. in a comatose state in June 2017 and died shortly after. Kim, according to Trump, “felt very badly about” Warmbier’s death.The Warmbier family, in a statement to MSNBC on Friday, responded to the president’s recent comments.Also Read: Donald Trump Has 'Boobs' Spilling Out of His Mouth in Jim Carrey's Latest Political Artwork“We have been respectful during this summit process,” the family said.”Now we must speak out. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son, Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity.”The Warmbiers added:  “No excuses or lavish praise can change that.”Read original story Trump Calls Kim Jong-un a ‘Real Leader’ in Hannity Interview At TheWrap

President Trump tweeted his support on Wednesday for Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann’s $250 million defamation lawsuit against the Washington Post, blasting the paper as “fake news” while imploring the teenager to “go get them.”

Trump, directly quoting from Sandmann’s lawsuit, tweeted: “The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.”


“The Washington Post ignored basic journalistic standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” Covington student suing WAPO. Go get them Nick. Fake News!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 20, 2019


Sandmann was at the center of a media firestorm last month when a confrontation he had in Washington, D.C. with Nathan Phillips, a Native American veteran, went viral. Sandmann was roundly skewered for smirking in Phillips’ face while wearing a Make America Great Again hat, made popular by President Trump. Phillips was in Washington for the Indigenous People’s March while Sandmann and his classmates were in town for the March for Life.

Also Read: Donald Trump Jr Attacks Media for 'Covington Catholic Hoax' in First Breitbart Op-Ed

A much longer video of the incident later caused many to reconsider how they viewed the situation, though. A widely-shared article from Robby Soave at Reason.com indicated the students, rather than intentionally invading Phillips’ space, were approached by him as he was banging his drum. The two-hour long video, as Soave pointed out, also called into question whether the students chanted “build the wall,” as Phillips claimed, or said anything racist.

Sandmann’s lawsuit claims the Washington Post published “no less than six false and defamatory articles” about the incident, targeting him because he is a “white, Catholic student” that was wearing a MAGA hat.

On Jan. 22, the Washington Post published an interview in which Phillips said that some of the people associated with Sandmann chanted: “Build that wall, build that wall.” The Post noted that such chants were not audible in the clip and Phillips has denied such chants. And private investigators hired by the Covington Diocese in Kentucky later issued a report stating there was no evidence of the chants.

Also Read: Covington Student Refuses to Apologize After Viral Video: 'I Was Not Disrespectful' (Video)

The lawsuit is seeking the same amount of money Amazon chief Jeff Bezos paid for the paper in 2013. Bezos and the Post have routinely found themselves in the president’s crosshairs, with Trump recently mocking the tech exec’s divorce on Twitter.

The Post told TheWrap it is reviewing the lawsuit and plans to mount “a vigorous defense.”

Read original story Trump Supports Covington Student’s $250 Million Lawsuit Against Washington Post At TheWrap