Turkey to disband presidential guard after post-coup detentions: PM

Pro-Erdogan supporters wave a Turkish national flag during a rally at the Bosphorus bridge in Istanbul on July 21, 2016 (AFP Photo/Umit Turhan Coskun)

Ankara (AFP) - The Turkish authorities will disband the elite presidential guard after detaining almost 300 of its members in the wake of the failed coup, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Saturday.

"We have taken a decision. There will no longer be a presidential guard, there is no purpose, there is no need," Yildirim said, speaking to A Haber channel.

Members of the guard were part of a group that entered the state broadcaster TRT during the coup, Yildirim said. The group forced a presenter to read a statement declaring martial law and a curfew last week.

The presidential guard is a regiment numbering up to 2,500 people but at least 283 of its members had been detained after the coup in Ankara.

Yildirim added that 13,002 people had been detained. Among those were 1,329 police officers, 8,831 soldiers, 2,100 judges and prosecutors and 689 civilians.

He added that 5,837 had been remanded in custody including 3,718 soldiers and 123 generals.