By Gulsen Solaker ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey said on Tuesday it had agreed with the United States on terms for setting up a "safe zone" inside northern Syria as part of their campaign against Islamic State militants, but the U.S. State Department denied there was any such agreement. The two NATO allies have been working on plans to provide air cover for Syrian rebels and to sweep Islamic State from land along the Turkish border. CNN Turk quoted Turkish foreign ministry undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioglu as saying the countries had agreed to create a 98 km (61 miles) long and 45 km wide area to be patrolled by members of the opposition Free Syrian Army. In a later statement, Turkey's foreign ministry quoted Sinirlioglu as saying: "The control and protection of this region cleared of (Islamic State) will be conducted by Syrian opposition forces and the necessary air defense and support for this ... will be provided by the United States and Turkey." Asked about the report, however, U.S. State Department Mark Toner said: "There's no agreement on some kind of zone." Toner said he had not seen the Turkish official's remarks and could not address them. "I'm not denying his claims," he added. "We've been pretty clear from the podium and elsewhere saying there's no zone, no safe haven, we're not talking about that here. What we're talking about is a sustained effort to drive ISIL out of the region," Toner told a news briefing. ISIL is another name for Islamic State, which has seized large swathes of land in both Syria and Iraq. Under the Turkish-U.S. strategy, moderate Syrian rebels, trained by the U.S. Army, will fight the Islamist militant group on the ground and help coordinate air strikes by the U.S. coalition, launched from Turkish air bases. U.S. and Turkish forces would hit Islamic State or Kurdish militants if they entered the safe zone, CNN Turk quoted Sinirlioglu as saying. Diplomats familiar with Ankara's plans have said cutting off one of Islamic State's lifelines could be a game-changer in this corner of Syria's complex war. The core of the U.S.-trained rebels, who number fewer than 60, will be highly equipped and be able to call in close air support when needed, they say. U.S. officials have previously said discussions are ongoing about the size and scope of a safe zone along the border, but that the aim would be to clear it of Islamic State fighters and allow moderate rebels to operate freely. They have ruled out a formal no-fly zone. (Reporting by Daren Butler in Istanbul and Doina Chiacu in Washington; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Gareth Jones)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
A high school football coach’s reaction to a player quitting the team has gone viral.
New police body camera footage captured a visibly distraught Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito and her fiancé after an alleged physical altercation between them on a
View this post on Instagram A post shared by DUA LIPA (@dualipa) Dua Lipa's latest outfit begs the question . .
- In The Know by Yahoo
The pet owner is wondering if they should have lied about the name from the start.
- NBC Sports Washington
Umpire Tim Timmons heard enough from the Orioles grounds crew, kicking them off the field during the final inning Wednesday night.
- USA TODAY
A correction from Edison Research, an election data provider, caused the vote adjustment.
This is a very precarious situation.
“SHE KILLS THE GAME."
- The Daily Beast
NewsmaxNewsmax host Grant Stinchfield absolutely lost his mind Wednesday night when a veteran helping Americans and Afghan allies flee Afghanistan offered the mildest of criticism of former President Donald Trump. Joe Saboe, an Iraq War veteran who recently founded the rescue organization Team America, appeared on Stinchfield’s eponymous Newsmax program to discuss his group’s efforts in assisting those looking to escape Afghanistan following the Taliban takeover.The first few minutes of the inte
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
A note was left under an infant carrier with a 3-month-old boy, officials said.
Utah police considered charging Gabby Petito with domestic violence after a fight with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie
Moab City Police opted not to file charges after Gabby Petito said she didn't intend to hurt her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, during the altercation.
- Business Insider
Then-CIA Director Gina Haspel said Trump's post-election behavior was 'insanity' and he was 'acting out like a 6-year-old with a tantrum,' book says
"Yesterday was appalling," Haspel told the US's top general, Mark Milley, after Trump fired Defense Secretary Mark Esper, according to a new book.
- Charlotte Observer
NASCAR is experimenting with the Clash at the Coliseum next year. Here’s what else is being added.
Kimberly Chandler, the wife of NBA player Tyson Chandler, filed for divorce this week after 16 years of marriage. According […] The post NBA star Tyson Chandler’s wife files for divorce after 16 years appeared first on TheGrio.
- Vikings Wire
The Vikings were dealt another blow to their linebacker corps.
- The Wrap
"He and Shonda were at each other’s throats," James D. Parriott says in Lynette Rice's upcoming book "How to Save a Life: The Inside Story of Grey’s Anatomy"
An Insider reporter tried double cheeseburgers from McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Shake Shack, and White Castle to determine the best one.
- Good Housekeeping
WHAT A LOOK. 🔥🔥🔥
- The Telegraph
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have posed together for their first magazine cover shoot, groomed to near-flawlessness by Hollywood’s finest stylists for a celebration of them as “equal partners”.
- USA TODAY
The new property owner announced plans to renovate the property and put it back on the market after evicting all the current residents.