One May 20, the third season of The Masked Singer came to an end with three show stopping performances from the Frog, the Night Angel, and fan-favorite, the Turtle. From the first episode, the Turtle wowed viewers with his vocal range, and was deemed one of best performers of the season by the judges.
Unfortunately, the Turtle didn't manage to take home the Golden Mask, coming in second to the Night Angel. But the silver lining to this was that fans found out who was the Turtle on The Masked Singer sooner than expected. Although, it turns out, the fans knew all along.
Who is the Turtle?
After weeks of )correct) guessing, many fans' theory was confirmed on May 21, when the Turtle was revealed to be none other than Jesse McCartney.
The clues for McCartney had been stacking up for weeks (although it took the judges a long time to figure it out. In the very first clue packages, the Turtle talks about being left behind the pack when first starting his career. The New York native's career began in the late '90s with a stint on All My Children. He later joined the boy band Dream Street, where he saw some success, but not as much as members of more popular boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, and 98 Degrees.
Missed some other key clues? Lucky for you, we've been tracking them all season:
- The Turtle holding a surfboard was a nod to McCartney's appearance on Summerland, a TV show that took place in a surf-side town. Of course tt could also be symbolic of the many Teen Choice awards that McCartney was nominated for and won.
- A chalkboard image was shown with the repeating line, "Don’t Rave Ever At My School -Turtle." When the first letter of each of those words is added up, it spells "DREAM ST," the name of the band for which McCartney was the lead singer.
- One of the clues in the third episode referenced the Korean city Seoul, which was revealed in the finale to be a reference to his hit song "Beautiful Soul."
- The April 1 video package featured a superhero and comic book, referencing McCartney lending the voice to Robin on the superhero series Young Justice.
- On the April 8 episode, the Turtle's bag contained a baseball glove, which was a nod to the singer's favorite sport.
- In the April 29 episode, the number 9, 1, and 4 were highlighted in the clue package. Together, and in that order, they make up the area code for McCartney's home sate of New York.
Although McCartney was clearly bummed to miss out on the Golden Mask, her held his head high post-elimination.
"This has been a very very long road," McCartney said. "I knew there were so many talented competitors. Honestly I’m just stunned that I’m even here."
You Might Also Like