- An Instagram couple have come under fire for asking fans to fund their next holiday.
- Catalin Onc and Elena Engelhardt, who claim to be travel influencers, shared a GoFundMe link with their 44,000 followers, asking for donations to put towards a trip in July.
Catalin Onc and Elena Engelhardt of Instagram account @Another_beautiful_day_official are receiving criticism from followers after asking for donations towards their next holiday.
The traveller influencers set up a GoFundMe page to help finance their trip, which they hope will involve doing a tandem bike ride from Germany to Africa in July. The pair have asked for more than €10,000 (£8,911) in donations from their followers, which they hope will finance the travels.
"Starting on the 20th of July in the middle of Germany, on a tandem, me and Eli will cycle towards Africa, and hopefully beyond," the GoFundMe page explains. "We want to take you all on this huge adventure. A celebration of life, as we ride freely across mountains, by the sea and through metropolitans. We will show the beauty of this planet and it’s inhabitants, but also the ugliness.
"But we can not do this on our own. We need you! The funds we raise will go towards the bike and gear, food and accommodation (when needed), internet and SIM cards in every country to keep you up to date, insurance, emergencies. We need funds now for preparation as well as throughout our trip.
"Every dollar, every message, every couch or garden for our tent, any help you can offer will help us go further. We hope you all enjoy and learn with us."
So far, the couple have €352 of their €10,000 goal, and received much backlash on their Instagram account. "You're not entitled to be funded on your egocentric journey to find yourself," one person wrote.
Another added, "Why would I work all day to give you money to go travelling? 🤣🤣🤣", while a third commented, "People like you really annoy me - you're self entitled and think the world owes you something. You don't want to work and expect others to pay your way."
('You Might Also Like',)
- A ranking of the very best hair straighteners - according to our Beauty Editors
- Best party dresses to shop in the UK right now
- 11 products you'd be mad to miss from the Net A Porter beauty sale